Camallias and mushrooms

Dimi1June 17, 2013

Hi
I am new to this forum and have a question in relation to a Camellia I have just planted.
The Camellia is a Japonica Red Red Rose. I have just noticed that right next to where I have planted this Camellia there are quite a few clusters of mushrooms growing. Probably about 30cm from the plant, or even less. The mushrooms were there a few weeks prior to planting but then they died. Now they have come back.
Given that you are not supposed to use mushroom compost on Camellias (which are an acid-loving plant), are they likely to harm my Camellia?
On planting I added a bit of Yates Acitone Health Tonic to the soil and also watered it with Seasol to promote root growth.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

It is probably ok. The problem with mushroom compost is that the recipe contains ingredients with lots of salt and these salts are too concentrated and will harm azaleas, rhododendrons and camellias. But a few mushrooms growing by themselves should be ok provided they are not indicating that the soil is being kept wet for long periods of time.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 9:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dimi1

Thank you for your reply. We have actually had a fair bit of rain so maybe that has contributed to the growth. I will keep a close eye on it and provide an update in a few weeks/months.

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 11:36PM
More Discussions
jujujojo_gw
Suggestions for transplanting??
Removing this planter but hate to lose the beautiful,...
niknstan
anyone growing one of the 'Tama' varieties in a cold zn 7?
If so, how did they fare after last winter? I do see...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
looking for a low growing 4ft. red Camellia
For zone 7b. What species will qualify ?
420benz
Camellia photos
Here's a photo of a bloom from my 'Sweet Jane' hybrid...
vmr423
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™