What is this, and what's wrong with it?

Desirai(7B)April 28, 2014

My brother got this for me for my birthday, I've had it about 6 months. I water it about once a month.. it was doing fine but the past few days it's been looking awful.. like, moldy and stuff.

Nothing has changed... it's been almost a month since I watered it.. is it thirsty??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amsten09(6)

I am no pro but it looks like rot to me. I would pull off the rotting pup to see if the top part of the plant is okay. If it isn't I would hack it off so the bottom plant will survive. They are two separate plant. The top is grafted to the bottom.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 5:53PM
nomen_nudum

A mutant gymnocalycium growing on a graft
The graft shows (as it looks) had been over watered and has signs of rot.

If you have the recipt bring it back

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 5:57PM
Desirai(7B)

Wait... so all of those you see at like home depot that are like this are one plant grafted onto another?

How lame!! Poor plants..

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 6:20PM
kaktuskris

To me, these are 'Moon Cacti" are temporary plants at best. I personally would not buy one, they just look too unnatural. The yellow cactus has been grafted onto another cactus, apparently Hylocereus, aka Dragonfruit, because it cannot produce chlorophyll on its own, and would otherwise die. I would remove the top section before the rot spreads. The green section may be salvageable, if the roots are not rotted. Did you keep the foil covering on the pot for the past 6 months? If so, the soil could not drain properly, probably leading to root rot.

Christopher

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 6:35PM
nomen_nudum

Much to protest regarding the many plants in big box stores though out this froum concerning the shady deals of big box stores.

Before you saw this one or even paid for it odds where not in your favor for sucsess.
Mutant plants, especaily with cacti of this type have only one small problem. Of the many things that can go wrong with a mutant plant in it's life any one of them things that can go wrong, will go very very wrong, very very quickly.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 10:31PM
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Pls. take off the foil if that's still on there after ALL this time. If it's not already rotted (sorry) it may help w/ the drainage.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 11:51PM
More Discussions
What to do with this?
Hi everyone we had this superb plant in our garden...
garazy
Mother of Thousands (Kalanchoe)- can I prune it?
I have two of these in pots. The main problem is that...
elizabethk1
Help! what's wrong with these succulents
They are with me just only for 2 months. Their leaves...
hm825
Just washed cacti and euphorbia roots..safe to leave out overnight?
Just washed roots on my shipment from Arid Lands. ...
Bama_Joe
New Succulent Container Garden, and need advice.
So i just made this succulent container garden, 90-95%...
kizasugondo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™