Dwarf Camellias?

medusa11365June 12, 2006

Well, maybe not dwarf, but is anyone familiar with varieties that might stay under 4' tall? I did a little research on the national arboretum site and Monrovia Nursery's site, but would like some personal experiences. I love camellias but have no room at my new house for the 8-10' shrubs I had at my old house. OR, is there a way to prune the giants down to that size without making a hideous mess?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

I am not familiar with any dwarf camellias as most exceed your height requirements. Sasanquas would be your best choice as they are shorter than other camellia varieties. But in about 10 years, many will be about 4-5 feet high or more. Which sounds ok but...

Camellias have a life span of centuries so it is important to also figure out the plant's height at maturity and not just the 10-year height specified on plant labels.

It reminds of the problem with the Little Gem Magnolia Tree. It was originally advertised as a dwarf magnolia tree but turned out to be a slow growing magnolia tree. Every day on my way to work, I now pass this business park where they planted Little Gem's very close to the building. And they are getting awful close to the ceiling now!

But perhaps you can check up on something that I read about but have not had a chance to inquire further. It is a camellia recently introduced by Nuccio's Nurseries of California. The plant is called Slim 'N Trim and advertised as dwarf. For more info, contact Nuccio's Nurseries... Tom, Jim or Julius at (626) 794-3383. Like I said, I am not sure what that is all about yet but feel free to investigate.

Good luck,
Luis

Bookmark   June 12, 2006 at 2:34PM
longriver(SF Bay Area)

I have a compact camellia for over four years and it maintains in compact shape, growing more side way. New branches never show straight upright growth. The blush white flower has highly ruffled petals, medium size. The name is Feathery Touch.

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 5:38PM
camelliagirl(8)

Try Nuccio's Nursery in Altadena California. There are several varieties of camellias that are truly dwarf. Twinkle Twinkle, Sasanqua Compacta, Baby Bear just to name a few. They are quite nice. You also may want to do a google search to find other camellia nurseries that ship.

Bookmark   August 9, 2006 at 6:49PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

You should also learn the fine art of pruning to create and maintain size and forms. Camellia respond very nicely to fine pruning. The 'dwarf' or very slow growing camellia would make this task much easier.

Investigate the possibility of pruning classes somewhere. And I mean ARTFUL pruning. Don't look to the landscaping industry for help...I've yet to meet a landscaper who really knew how to prune.

Bookmark   August 14, 2006 at 4:24PM
More Discussions
Will this camellia bloom soon?
I have 6 fairly new camellia bushes (most have bright...
Sarah Bain
camellia identity
First off let me introduce and tell you a little bit...
dmichael619
Camellia blooms for January
Finally a lack of fog let me roam outside and found...
Hogette-gw
sign of rooting being a success?
I tried to root a couple 'Aida', IIRC I took the cuttings...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Camellia Ashley Eden?
Hello. I just succumbed to a little plant covered with...
rosie
Sponsored Products
Sample-Fusion Camellia With Copper Deco Tiles Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Jamie Young Camellia 15"W Antique Silver Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Seven Dwarfs Cookie Jar
$59.99 | zulily
Vig Furniture - Camellia - Modern Power Reclining Leather Sofa...
Great Furniture Deal
Kaddur Kids Chair in Red
$600.00 | LexMod
Camellia Floral Shower Curtain
Overstock.com
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Camellia Sage
$42.38 | Home Depot
Patterson Aged Brass One-Light Flush Mount
$376.00 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™