Tiger baby's!!!!!!!!!!

BERGER123(4b-5a)July 25, 2014

Hi
I have 28 tiger swallowtail eggs. I'm so happy!!!!! How long does it take for them to hatch? Is their any other important info I need to raise them?
Jacob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

As I recall, it takes about ?5 days.

Congrats, congrats!

Just feed them a proper host plant, and keep the food fresh. Tiger swallowtails are sluggish, like giant swallowtails, so don't expect much movement.

Sherry

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 4:54PM
BERGER123(4b-5a)

Hi
Ok do you know how to keep ash live in water?
Jacob

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 7:18PM
weed30

First, Congrats!!! A really good way to keep the leaves fresh is to put them in a , which you can get from any florist. If possible, ask for an Orchid tube, because they are bigger and you won't have to add water as often.

Just clip one of the , leaving a nice stem to put in the water tube. You can put the tube in a shot glass to keep it upright, or use masking tape or wire to attach it to the side of your cage or whatever you use to raise them.

When you need to add water, just pull the stem out, pop the lid and add. The caterpillar won't run off of the leaf. The other benefit about using a water tube is it keeps the frass out of the water.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 9:09PM
BERGER123(4b-5a)

Hi
I have way more than 28 like 55 to 75 so if anyone close to me (the twin cities area) and would like to have some tigers to raise they are laid on ash and if no one wants any I'm going to very very very busy the rest of the summer.
Thanks

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 7:01PM
terrene(5b MA)

Oh lucky you to have so many eggs! Too bad I'm not in MN, I would love to have eggs. I have lots of Prunus serotina and have wanted to raise P. glaucus for years. I've observed females laying eggs on occasion, but this is usually about 25 feet up in the air in one of the cherry trees!

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 7:28PM
alex928 Z8/LA

If I lived by the twin cities, I just might take you up on the offer! I'd love me some Tigers. Problem is, I don't have any host plants, and it doesn't sound very easy to get any. Do they have any host plants that aren't trees? Plus I read they typically lay eggs on the tops of trees, so how does anybody manage to get ahold of any?

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 8:11PM
BERGER123(4b-5a)

Hi
alex928 I believe hop tree grows slow and doesn't get that tall, and if you have it you can get giant and tiger swallowtail. How I got so many is I caught a female to show my grandma and I forgot that I had an ash tree in my greenhouse where she is. Tiger swallowtails use black cherry,sweet bay Mongolia,ash trees,hop tree. I think there is more but I don't know.
Jacob

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 11:26AM
BERGER123(4b-5a)

Hi
Update one of the eggs is going to hatch so I think the tree I dug up already had an egg on it cause the other eggs I have haven't darkened like this one.im so excited!!!!!!!
Jacob

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 11:42AM
alex928 Z8/LA

No hop trees, unfortunately. I don't think they grow around here. I'll keep it in mind for the future though. I do see Tigers around from time to time, some years more than others, so I'm sure there are host plants around somewhere. Maybe someday I can figure out how to get some eggs or cats. They're such cool butterflies. Plus the cats are so cute with their little "eyes." :)

This post was edited by alex928 on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 12:17

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 12:14PM
dr.liz(7 NJ)

They also use tulip trees, Liriodendrum tulipifera. As if the prunus wasn't tall enough! (The tulip trees are the tallest trees east of the Mississippi.)

We have lots of tulip trees around here, which is why the tiger swallowtails are relatively abundant. I'm not planning on raising any, though. Mother nature is doing okay without me, as far as this species is concerned.
Liz

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 10:04PM
BERGER123(4b-5a)

Hi
My tiger swallowtail population took a massive hit two years ago. Last year I didn't see any and this year I had to go to my grandparents house to catch some and realse them at my house. Which help and now raiseing them is so exciting!
Jacob

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 12:13PM
More Discussions
Any one ready for spring?
I'm so done with winter! I'm ready for spring . This...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Spring Azure!
I was working outside on this clear day, and I saw...
misssherry
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
Caterpillars on our Acacia
We bought a little acacia a year ago. I'm not sure...
llilibel03
Camera settings for butterflies...part II
The first part of this series on custom settings established...
bob_71
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™