How much to fertilize?

cynthianovakJune 13, 2013

Hi All
How much and with what do you fertilize your Camelias?

I have Sasanquas and Japonicas.
I ferilized with an organic,blend for Camelias in early spring after all were done blooming. I would like to encourage more blooms. When I bought these plants in fall 2012 they were covered in buds...more than I had on my existing plants ever. Soooo, can I fertilize again? Do any of you know what the growers use?

Thank you cynthia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

I do not know what the wholesalers use but it may be much more than is necessary since they sell more if the shrub is loaded with flower buds.

Below is a link to the American Camellia Society's suggestions on how to fertilize. On newly planted camellias, I use cottonseed meal or composted manure. About 1/2 cup to 1 cup for a newly planted shrub. I have also used a slow-release general purpose chemical fertilizer (Osmocote 10-10-10).

Luis

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Fertilization

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 9:16PM
cynthianovak

Thank you Luis. You are not far from me, I am in Arlington. Old Camellias are all around my old neighborhood. I am happy to learn that I can fertilize again, this is more than I have done before.
smiles cynthia

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 10:35PM
jamesmaloy

Cynthia, You can also buy a camellia/azalea fertilizer, formulated for acid loving plants. I used this on my plants in the begining to help get them off to a good start. My soil is pretty good and I keep lots of mulch whether it is pine straw, leaves, pine bark or a mix of this with grass clippings, So I honestly have not fertilized in two years. The growth rate is great on all my camellias. If you have unimproved sandy soil I would add as much mulch around all the shrubs to beyond the leaf line and I would use fertilizer as sandy soil leaches nutrients pretty fast but if you have reasonably good soil fertilizer just to keep them healthy. I think usually the recommended rate is three times per year, but like I said Mine seems to be totally happy they are all dark green and luxurious and have had plenty of buds every year. Hope that helped you some.
James in Florida

Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 11:53PM
More Discussions
Camellia photos
Here's a photo of a bloom from my 'Sweet Jane' hybrid...
vmr423
Camellia Dying?
My cameliia was covered all winter with the white garden...
pattysheehan
Where can I find Professor C. Sargent?
Basically, I've fallen in love with the look of this...
oberci
1800's or earlier camellia catalogues and other materials.
1800's or earlier camellia catalogues and other materials. Hello,...
florence_2007
Rescuing a giant lollipop camellia?
The house my family moved into last year has an obviously...
Kristin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™