Transplants

Belle423(Zone 7 TN)June 30, 2005

Years ago I planted camelias in my backyard that are now so beautiful. When we moved from the house my daughter purchased it and now she is enjoying them. I would like to get a cutting from them and plant them at my new place. They are currently thriving beautifully in the shade of pine trees. I am assuming by that that they prefer the shade. Any advice on how to make cuttings work from them would be greatly appreciated. When I planted them, I had no idea whether they were sun or shade shrubs...just got lucky.

Thanks......belle423 in Jackson, Tennessee

downen61@charter.net

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
forrestal(Gulf Coast z8b)

Yes, they do "grow on you" don't they, and become almost like a member of the family. The perfect time to take cuttings is about now, and I have provided a link below with some tips and other information. But keep in mind, it will take years to grow out the cutting to a plant of any size. I would suggest you consider making some airlayers of some of the limbs (which is like a giant cutting with roots) which takes about 6 months to form a root ball and, once cut off from the plant, will give you a decent sized plant that will usually bloom the first year. It is a much quicker way to propagate a larger plant that you have access to. Of course, the old checkbook method provides instant gratification, if you can determine the variety and a source to purchase it, but its not nearly as much fun! Good luck whatever you do, it sounds like a great plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia cuttings

Bookmark   July 5, 2005 at 9:10PM
More Discussions
Where can I find Professor C. Sargent?
Basically, I've fallen in love with the look of this...
oberci
Camellia Dying?
My cameliia was covered all winter with the white garden...
pattysheehan
CAN'T Find this one!!
Greetings folks, Well, the old expression of there...
cactusrequiem
Any non-sinensis Camellia used for tea?
Does anyone know if any of the camellias besides camellia...
merrybookwyrm
Camellia shelter - dropped blooms and damaged buds (cold)
I have a Camellia bed planted under the edge of my...
Bama_Joe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™