Pruning

BBBFLJune 6, 2011

My wife and I recently purchased a beautiful colonial home. There are approximately 15 Camellia trees in the front yard that are probably 40 years old and are about 20 feet tall. These trees, while beautiful, block out the view from the street of our equally beautiful home. What would be the best approach to prune these trees down so that you can see the house from the street? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Would limbing them UP solve the problem of views from your beautiful home? In other words, removing lower branches in order to expose more trunk.

If not, I suspect that removal of these old camellias is the only option. That is, unless you think that drivers by and neighbors appreciate the view of the beautiful old camellias. Some will be horrified at their removal, I must warn you.

Cutting down old camellias to a few feet will simply disfigure them, creating an eyesore for all to behold. Removal is truly a better scenario.

Perhaps you can remove the worst of the 'offenders', but save those that FRAME the view of your home, rather than block it.

Bookmark   June 6, 2011 at 10:35PM
BBBFL

Thanks rhizo. I think I will try limbing them up and see what it looks like. I definitely would get a lot of bad looks if I simply took them all out. Thanks again

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 1:25PM
jay_7bsc(8a)

Dear BBBFL,
I agree with rhizo. "Limbing up" your camellias is the way to go. That will expose the multiple trunks of these slow-growing trees and make them look like the trees they are. I think it would be a good idea to make certain that you have an odd number of multiple trunks per camellia tree. An odd number of trunks will be more aesthetically pleasing than an even number of trunks.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 10:01AM
BBBFL

Thanks Jay. I counted the trees and there are 27. So, I have a lot to work with. They definitely need to be "cleaned up"

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 11:44AM
More Discussions
Where can I find Professor C. Sargent?
Basically, I've fallen in love with the look of this...
oberci
Has anyone is USA bought a Camellia Azellia?
It's a plant grafted onto a camellia. For ten years...
butterfly4u
Pink Perfection or Nuccio's Cameo?
I love the color and form of Pink Perfection and Nuccio's...
astphard
camellia identity
First off let me introduce and tell you a little bit...
dmichael619
Rescuing a giant lollipop camellia?
The house my family moved into last year has an obviously...
nonconformist_nymphette
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™