Replacement for Dormant Oil Spray

yugoslavaMarch 7, 2010

What would be good to use as a substitute in the spring since Ontario has banned dormant oil spray. The package used to have mineral oil and lime sulfur. Since I grow some ericaceous plants and use sulfur to acidify soil could I use that mixed with mineral oil. I am not a chemist and need some help with this. Also in Toronto it's a good time to spray roses and fruit trees, it's dry and sunny.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bev_w(6a)

Dormant oil banned?

I checked the Ontario government web site and most dormant oil sprays are listed as Class 5 pesticides. There is one brand listed as a Class 6. These are defined as "Less (for class 5) or "least" (for class 6) hazardous domestic pesticides that can be used by homeowners and include biopesticides and lower risk pesticides allowed for cosmetic purposes. "

It's pretty clear that there is no ban on dormant oil / horticultural oil sprays.

Details here: http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/en/land/pesticides/class-pesticides.php

- Bev

Here is a link that might be useful: Ontario MOE pesticide classes

Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 5:28PM
yugoslava

I may be mistaken but I recall being at a meeting and there was talk of discontinuing sale of dormant oil preparation. There was discussion on what could be used instead. I don't mind making a mistake as long as it continues to be available in stores

Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 7:33PM
radovan

Yugoslava, I am sure you should be able to buy it in Toronto area. I just bought dormant oil/lime sulphur kit spray in brampton @ about $15.00

the only problem i have is what and where to buy sprays for fruit trees after those dormant sprays?

Bookmark   March 27, 2010 at 6:24PM
More Discussions
Raspberry Transplanting
Hi All, We transplanted raspberries yesterday into...
CassidyResort
Overwintering geraniums from a deck planter
The planter is about 6"x2' and has 5 plants in...
dab07
Toronto cold alert deaths vs Vancouver palm trees
Cold can hit the west coast an throw snow on the palm...
Paul_Ont
Greeting from new gardener from Newfoundland !!!
Hey, Everyone here im very very very excited to find...
ivy_huan
What to do with a swampy yard - new homeowner needs ideas!
My yard is a wet sponge. I have a lovely crop of skunk...
jbobs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™