When to trim and prune star jasmine and tropical hibiscus?

island(9)March 2, 2013

I'm in San Diego.

When is the best time to trim star jasmine on a trellis along a fence and to prune back tropical hibiscus?

Both just did their own thing without any guidance for years, but got a bit trampled when we put in a new fence last summer so it forced a little cutting back of the hibiscus and rewinding of the jasmine. Didn't know if they would survive, but they actually thrived, and the hibiscus bloomed more than ever.

Would like to continue cleaning up this area now that they aren't blooming, but don't know if now is the time or if there is a specific way to do it. I read some sites that say hibiscus don't need to be cut back and others that recommend cutting off 1/3 to 1/2.

Appreciate any suggestions for filling in the bald spots in my star jasmine vines and maximizing the blooming of the hibiscus. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

star jasmine is just about to start growing again, so prune it now before it starts. A hit of extra water and fertilizer will help those bare spots.

Bookmark   March 4, 2013 at 2:34PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
island(9)

Thanks hoovb. Going to get on that this weekend. Any specific fertilizer your recommend? Last year i gave it some Miracle Grow and was fighting aphids for the first time ever.

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 10:54PM
More Discussions
California to be a tropical climate within 50 years.
I heard that on the news last night. By 2060 Soucal...
stanofh
Need help with identification
I have tiny black round specks all over my fence and...
Nancy Taylor
Homeless Veteran Gardening
Hello, Well, I'm back after taking a rather serious...
bearstate
Veggie season?
what are you all planting in the veggie garden lately?...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Container Gardening in Zone 9a
Hi everyone, I am pretty new to gardening and would...
giddyupgo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™