In-Ground Brugs Still Alive?

Guitar4HimMay 21, 2014

We had two brugs (1 yellow, 1 pink) that we decided to try to winter in-ground. We cut them even with the ground and mulched them heavily. So far, we haven't seen any new growth appearing around the in-ground stumps. Should we be seeing new growth by now or do we just need to be more patient?

We got a bunch of cuttings from the plants when we cut them back last fall which we rooted in the house during the winter. Many of them have done quite well. We could replace the in-ground ones with some of these cuttings if they're DOA but we don't want to act prematurely.

When/how should we determine that our old plants didn't make it?

Ken

This post was edited by Guitar4Him on Wed, May 21, 14 at 12:32

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carrie751(z7/8 TX)

I live in North Texas and some of mine have not put out from the roots as yet though many have. We had a most unusual winter here, so guess anything is possible. Since the three that have not sprouted as yet are full sun brugs, I have decided to give them until the middle of June. Many of my brugs have been inground since '05. I hope yours all come back.

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 5:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
foxglove12

I grew brugs in 14 gal. containers last year and left them where they were all winter . Since I had taken many cuttings , I wasn't really concerned if they came back or not . I gave them no special care. But they have come back ( 3 of 3 ). The new growth came out as much as 6 inches from the old trunk . I'm in Shelby N.C , about 40 miles west of Charlotte . I did , however , plant all three in the ground and replaced them with cuttings from last which had much more growth . so that I might have blooms earlier in the season. All 3 are doing well. So I wouldn't give up completely on yours . Good luck . I have yellow & pink NOID . What kind do you have ? I'd love other colors and ones with double blooms.

Bookmark   May 22, 2014 at 9:15AM
More Discussions
brugmansia cuttings for postage?
Hi Guys!! I haven't been on in awhile, my new little...
keriann_lakegeneva
Gotta love the Brugs.
About 5 years ago I was givin' the chance to get 4...
Hal Warrick
last frost date to plant out brugs
Here's a fun website to check out if you like to garden-...
kasha77
Brug cuttings:
Good morning all, would like to know if anyone has...
plantmasterm
goodgirl35us
Sponsored Products
Trans Globe 3361 ROB Wall Sconce - Rubbed Oil Bronze - 8W in. - 3361 ROB
$56.00 | Hayneedle
Laura Ashley Erin 16 in. Chalk Pink Barrel Shade SLB28116P
$61.20 | Home Depot
Jodi Satin Nickel Halogen Mini Pendant with Dome Canopy and Opal Glossy Glass
$328.50 | Bellacor
Hydrofarm Designer T5 System 2 Foot 4 Tube Fluorescent Grow Lights with Bulbs Mu
$130.68 | Hayneedle
Volley Pendant Light in Silver
$289.00 | LexMod
Sasha Bronze LED Mini Pendant with Dome Canopy and Carrera Glass
$342.00 | Bellacor
Illumine Lamps Designer Collection 27 in. White Table Lamp White Fabric Shade
Home Depot
Fire Magic 53934S Double Access Doors - 14 x 30 - 53934S
$384.20 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™