What on earth happened to this cactus cutting?!

cfox248(3)April 16, 2014

So, I posted a while back on my cactus ID. We had just whacked it down, taken a cutting from it to plant later. Took the cutting, put it in a nice dry place. The cut started to look brownish like an apple almost immediately, and then started to harden. After a week, it was hard to the touch, a bit shrively at the cut site. Figured on waiting 3 weeks to be absolutely sure.

Fast forward to a week or so ago. The bottom half inch was black. Not at all squishy whatsoever, just black. Still felt firm like the rest of the cactus. Figured it was just a natural part of rooting a cactus cutting an planned to plant it that weekend.

But, that weekend the whole thing was black! Like I said, not squishy at all. Still feels like normal. It's just black! You can see in the pics where there's a spot or two of green left. Is this rot? How on earth could it happen so late in the process, if so, and why is it not squishy? Did we wait too long to plant? What happened?!

And in the pic of the cut, the white fuzzy is not mold. We have a white Angora rabbit whose hair gets everywhere. This is from setting it on the floor briefly, it's a ball of bunny fur. I promise! I triple checked.

Anybody seen this before? No hope for it, right? We still have it just in case, but it seems WAY beyond anything I can do for it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sundewd(9B)

I'm not real sure what happened... Did it get really cold? It almost resembles frost bite. In any case... Cellular death has occurred. :(

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 5:25PM
Sundewd(9B)

I'm not real sure what happened... Did it get really cold? It almost resembles frost bite. In any case... Cellular death has occurred. :(

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 5:30PM
pelargonium_gw

Dead it is, indeed, sorry to say...

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 5:32PM
cfox248(3)

Nope! Made sure to keep it so it wasn't by our heaters, and it wasn't on a windowsill to get chilled. We've got a little square area outcropping out of the house with windows on all 3 sides that is filled with dozens of plants. It was on the floor on a towel, underneath a plant stand to protect it from direct blazing sun. It's dry and bright, and it's blocked off with a clear storm window so nothing can get in there. So baffling, considering the cactus it came from was sitting 3 feet from it and is currently happy as a clam.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 5:34PM
Sundewd(9B)

Well... These things happen, I've had it happen as had everyone else who grows plants. :( Sometimes its an Infection, illness, parasite... Other times it just isn't clear.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 7:47PM
Sundewd(9B)

Well... These things happen, I've had it happen as had everyone else who grows plants. :( Sometimes its an Infection, illness, parasite... Other times it just isn't clear.

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 9:03PM
More Discussions
Jades - Too many for 1 pot?
I am going to repot my jade as soon as I get all the...
Gigi z 7B, SC, USA
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
A Nice Welcome Today
A little surprise in the mail today...
kaktuskris
Gasteria question
Hi all, Does anyone have experience with restarting...
hablu
Prevent mix from falling out drain hole - what do you use?
I have a few particles falling out the bottom of my...
Bama_Joe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™