Starting seeds?

gailtorontoMarch 27, 2009

Hi, due to money constraints this year I have decided to start my herbs/vegetables and some annuals from seed. This is my first time doing this .... my questions are:

1. I have all that's necessary to start my seeds (bought a McKenzies Seed Tray with pellets in) - is it too early or not?

2. When is it safe to plant seedlings outside?

3. Last year I had a problem with tiny slugs eating my tomatoes .... how can I stop this? They ate right through the tomatoes and then of course it would rot from the inside. Quite frustrating for a beginner vegetable gardener.

So far I'll be planting: Sweet Basil, Rosemary, Cilantro, Thyme, Peas, Tomatoes and Lettuce

Thanks for your help - after this harsh winter I am rearing to go in my garden.

Gail

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Justine_London(5b-6a On.,Can.)

Hi Gail,
Are you aware of the planting procedure known as winter sowing? In my opinion, this is the easiest....and cheapest way to get oodles, and oodles of herbs, veggies, annuals and perennials!!!!!! I will add the link to the wintersowing forum here on gardenweb. Please check out the FAQ and look at the gallery for photos of just what wintersown is...also...do a search for wintersown containers to see it all. This is a very, very, very unusual way to garden.

If you go the wintersown technique you will
1.plant your seeds now
2.put them outside to germinate in your trays and whatever other container you want to use.
3.my suggestion for growing your tomatoes is to let them grow up onto a trellis or make a tepee from 3 sticks or twigs and tie them up to this support to get the tomatoes up and off the ground.

Go garden and have fun!

ps. we have a newer forum titled "wintersowing in canada forum" too, but I could only add a Link for one site, the original forum ...check out both of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: wintersowing

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 6:55PM
tiffy_z5_6_can(5/6)

Gail,
I have to second Justine's suggestion. Do go to the Winter Sowing Forum and read, read, read... It is a wonderful way to garden while keeping your $$ in your pocket.

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 9:31AM
ninamarie(4Ont.)

Start your rosemary and tomatoes within the next few weeks in warmth and good light.
Direct sow your peas outside about the middle of April.
Direct sow the rest as soon as the soil is warm. There is little advantage to starting them indoors.

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 9:40AM
ianna(Z5b)

I'm into wintersowing too but you can definitely get your herbs started indoors. And I think it's rather late for doing wintersowing now that it's spring and nearly mid-spring. I've started my tomatoes early this month and I've already transplanted some of them. (I went a little mad and have planted more than 100 plants of 5 different variety of tomatoes)

I do a lot more indoor seed starting than I do with wintersowing but it's something I will do better with next year. Some seeds like tomatoes can't be wintersown.

When the weather is consistently above 7 C, you can begin hardening off plants. The week after, the plants can be fully planted in the ground.

Sweet Basil - I just started the seeds indoor myself. It's an annual and not hardy and so not good for wintersowing.

Rosemary - easily rooted and so I'd rather start them from cuttings (from grocery produce)

Cilantro - direct sow them. and sow another set in the following week, and another in the following week. This is because these are annuals and tend to bolt quickly. It reseeds itself and so you'd have plenty of seedlings in the garden the following year.

Thyme - These grow rapidly from root cuttings. In fact, you can root these easily from grocery bought items. I've not seen them germinate easily from seed.

Peas - direct sow. (hates being transplanted)

Tomatoes - indoor sowing

Lettuce - if you are eager, I suppose you can begin now and take leaf cuttings from the baby plants. Or you can wait when it's warm and sow them direct on the ground.

To deal with slugs. The organic way is to take something like ash, gritty sand, diatonamous (spelling?) earth, or copper collars to prevent slugs. The non-organic way is there are slug pellets available in hardware stores which you should sprinkle in the ground as soon as you plant your tomatoes.

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 3:35PM
gailtoronto

Thanks for all the help! I've been reading a lot today - I'd never heard of "winter sowing" before, quite interesting.

I found a "seed starting chart" last night and have done my own little spreadsheet ..... this is in an effort to learn and not make the same mistakes next year. I'll journal and keep records.

Last year was my first year for planting vegetables and I did pretty well I think. I'm looking forward to this year.

Thanks again and I'll be a regular visitor here.

Gail in Toronto

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 4:23PM
Justine_London(5b-6a On.,Can.)

Yes even if it is the beginning of spring.... you can still wintersow. I am referring to the method-not the season.

Surprise, surprise...actually, you most definitely can wintersow your tomato seeds!
Here is a direct quote from Trudy, the queen of wintersowing, "Treat them like tender annuals and sow your tomato seeds as winter is breaking into spring. I usually sow mine mid to late February.", but later is OK too.

Great gardening to you!

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 7:06PM
ianna(Z5b)

Lots of other seeds can be WS under a cold framed around this time of the year I agree. However with respect to tomatoes, I have to say it's doesn't produce good results. Hence my recommendation for starting them indoors. For reference I am guided by northern_on (zone 5) experience on WS tomatoes. In a recent thread "Can tomatoes be WS in the Maritimes" she has discussed some of her experiences. She also had an earlier thread in 2007 discussing her expereinces.

However if others have had better results than norhtern_on's experience, I'd like to know. I'm interested in hearing from Canadian growers because of zonal similarities and the kinds of tomatoes grown plus the crop results.

Trudi is a great doyen of WS but she's in Long Island, NY - a zone 7 area. In mid-Feb. Long Island enjoyed 5C temperatures with a low of -2C. In contrast, Toronto, had -11C weather conditions in mid Feb. Now at the start of April, we are just beginning to experience the same sort of temps.

Ianna

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 10:41AM
More Discussions
Where to buy Pine bark fines in Toronto?
Hi everyone, Anyone know where to buy pine bark fines...
elbereth
When do YOU start your veggie seeds indoors?
Hi...I've got my grow light gardening kit assembled,...
Patches
weed or no weed?
approx 4 ft tall any info appreciated
ralu25
Looking for Yacon crowns in Canada.
Hi everyone. I'm looking for Yacon in Canada. Does...
samgardener
test
test
Nitefall
Sponsored Products
Brown Printed Floral Pattern Round Canopy Pendant Lighting
ParrotUncle
Laurel Dining Armchair
Ballard Designs
Artless | SQG38 Square Glass Top Table
YLiving.com
Progress Lighting Outdoor Lighting. Prairie Collection Brushed Nickel 1-light Po
Home Depot
Grohe Atrio High Spout Lavatory Wideset - Infinity Brushed Nickel
Modern Bathroom
Serena & Lily Border Frame Duvet Cover
Serena & Lily
Feiss F2783/5HTBZ Pickering Lane Bronze 5 Light Chandelier
Littman Bros Lighting
Casa Sierra Collection 19 1/2" High Post Light
$39.95 | Lamps Plus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™