Desperately Seeking (Egyptian) Shallots. Are they all gone?

merricat(Zone 3a Canada)March 29, 2009

Hello, folks.

It's me. I've been gone (for the past couple of years in fact)and unable to garden much. Parkinsons really bites. But I'm going back into the garden, even if it weeding in a *#(*&!! wheelchair. So THERE!

One plant I've very much want is the Egyptian Shallot. AKA "Walking Onion." We had a big patch here when we bought the house, and we were happy to give away the bulbets (bulbettes?) to anyone who asked. They thrived for years.

THEN my neighbor used an herbicide (on his side of the fence - he's not mean, just a little clueless), and it turned out to be one that sort of "travelled" through the soil (not sure how that works). The end result was the end of my onions - nothing left but mush and rot and very dead husks. And I haven't been able to find them since.

I know there are several things that they call "walking onion", but these are....hmmm....well, a picture's probably the best way to go:

I hope these links work:

http://z.about.com/d/gardening/1/0/5/8/OnionEgyptianWalking.jpg

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/45333/

I see these places call it "Egyptian Walking Onion". What's in a name? Great confusion, apparently.

Any ideas? They're perennial, a lovely shallot-like taste, super-hardy (except to harsh chemicals)....and nowhere to be found.

All help much appreciated. :)

Hello,

Merricat / Bettina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
merricat(Zone 3a Canada)

UPDATE: Someone said "Go to Burpees, they have them."

Yeah. They do. Along with 1) the notice that "these are not available at this time, and 2) the fact that they "don't ship nursery stock outside the continental US."

Great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Burpees type

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 8:59PM
yugoslava

I have them. Also Richters carries them. I bought mine from them few years ago. You are so right. Spreads everywhere.

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 10:00PM
merricat(Zone 3a Canada)

YAY! At least I know of a commercial source IN CANADA now. Thank you thank you!

Your page says you're in a zone 6. Er...would you perhaps be willing to part with a bulbil or three for my zone 3a (Alberta) garden? I'd be happy to send a SASE, or perhaps I have something YOU'D like? I'm afraid my garden is a bit common now (except for tomatoes...I'm an Heirloom Tomato nut), but I do have the general niceties - you know, Jacob's Ladder, Columbines (several colours), sweet william (a few colours), that sort of thing.

Please drop me a line if you're at all interested. And THANK YOU again for the site! :)

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 12:19AM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

Merricat, If you don't have any luck finding Egyptian onions I might still have them, problem is I was renewing a bed in the fall, dug both the Egyptian and another perennial onion up. They sat all winter in a pile so don't know which is which. I'll have to grow them on to tell the difference.
To make a long story short, email me through my members page later on if you can't find a source, if I still have them I will gladly send you some.

Annette

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 6:34PM
Crafty Gardener(ON 5b)

I grow lots of Egyptian walking onions and would gladly send you some for a SASE if you haven't got any yet. I'm in zone 5b in Ontario. Check out my website and see the ones I have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Egyptian Walking Onions

Bookmark   March 31, 2009 at 9:02PM
merricat(Zone 3a Canada)

Thank you both, aftermidnight and craftygardener. I've been going all over the 'net (and the city and surrounding towns), and every commercial place has either "export restrictions" or they just plain don't carry them.

I just don't understand why they're so hard to find!

This time I'll make sure that bed is sacrosanct, so I can always have some to offer to other onion-hunters.

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 3:42PM
Crafty Gardener(ON 5b)

I've replied back to your email with details etc. of where to send the SASE Looking forward to hearing from you and getting your envelope.

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 6:18PM
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada

I also replied to your email, we'll stay in touch.

Annette

Bookmark   April 1, 2009 at 7:17PM
yugoslava

I am so sorry. I didn't look at your posting since I wrote about having walking onion. I would have been very happy to send you some. I see others have responded. Good!

Bookmark   April 3, 2009 at 8:14PM
More Discussions
Planting near to the wooden fence of lawn
Is it ok to grow my plants just adjacent to the wooden...
sdraza1
Online irrigation stores?
I've posted a similar message on the irrigation forum....
Sherwood Botsford
test
test
Nitefall
When do YOU start your veggie seeds indoors?
Hi...I've got my grow light gardening kit assembled,...
Patches
Where to buy Pine bark fines in Toronto?
Hi everyone, Anyone know where to buy pine bark fines...
elbereth
Sponsored Products
Original Shallot & Sage Dressing
$72.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™