When to transplant camellias

gin888July 9, 2012

Could anyone please tell me when to transplant my camellias? I live in SC near the coast and the summers are REALLY hot. I have 5 small camellias that I really nead to move. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeff_al

the best time for your area would be similar for mine. if you are digging and relocating plants, it would be in late fall or early winter when temps are above freezing. container grown plants can be transplanted any time of the year but i personally would also plant those in fall or winter because of the lower temps and more abundant rainfall.
do not plant too deeply, keeping the rootball about 1" above the surrounding ground level. it will settle over time with watering. mulch after planting. pine needles or bark are popular here.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 9:59AM
ikea_gw

I have a similar problem here in 7a. I need to move a kumasaka that I planted 3 years ago to the front of the house as part of a re-landscaping project. Would October be a good time to move? I haven't noticed any buds on the shrub yet and I wonder if I should move it before or after the buds set. Frankly I don't care if I get any blooms next spring but I don't want to stress out the plant too much. Any ideas?

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 4:39PM
luis_pr

Sure, Kumasaka should flower much later than October but if you want to move it "now", October is a good time to plant and transplant. Do remember to keep it well watered if this Fall & Winter are dry.

Bookmark   August 8, 2012 at 9:06PM
gardenwoof(9)

When planting acid loving plants as these, Azaleas and Rhododendrons it is best to dig the hole(s) twice as wide as the root ball and six inches deeper then when placing the plant an inch above ground level. Adding peat moss below and to the sides of each plant gives the acidic mulch that insures normal growth. I learned this while working on a gardening crew at an exclusive performing arts center and following earning a horticulture degree while gaining work experience at the college.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 3:33AM
More Discussions
What's on these leaves?
Hello, could someone tell me what's happening to this...
PFCMCL
Recent visit to flower market in China
Lot's of Camellias Part 1 of 2 But this is a rose.
jujujojo_gw
Camellia Ashley Eden?
Hello. I just succumbed to a little plant covered with...
rosie
How much is took much? (Leaves from oaks falling on Japonicas)
Hey folks! This is my first Camellia bed and they are...
Bama_Joe
anyone growing one of the 'Tama' varieties in a cold zn 7?
If so, how did they fare after last winter? I do see...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™