Camellia 'Fruit'

siegel2July 4, 2007

My 20 years old Camellia bush produced 2 small fruits. I didn't even know they did that. Almost looks like an apple.

I'm in southern California.

Here's a photo:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
longriver(SF Bay Area)

cagary, this is a camellia seed pod set by nature( by bug, bee etc). You can wait when the fruit lacks shine and cracking. You will have a few seeds in Sept or Oct. Keep the seeds with moist perlite in a small zip-lock bag in refrigerator . You can germinate it next March with sand and ground peat in a 2- gal pot. You should have new camellias flower in about 5 years, possible resembling the mother camellia plant.

Or you can press the seed to get a few drops of tea flavored oil for cooking or to soften your skin.

I produce the seeds by hand cross-pollination. See the picture, one of my camellia seed setters( a white reti hybrid) with 7 seed pods which are wrapped in black lace to prevent losing of my valuable seeds

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 5, 2007 at 4:41PM
lindam_2007

I have the same "fruit", I picked them and was hoping they would mature in the house and then I would plant them. But, all that I have read says to leave them on the bush. I have plenty more, so I will leave them...just curious if these in the house will "ripen"...what do you think?

Bookmark   July 6, 2007 at 11:37AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

cagary, your seed pod looks a bit malformed...perhaps from incomplete pollination of the flower. They are typically more uniformly shaped than that. They really DO look like apples, don't they? I've always thought that.

lindam, the seed pods will not ripen off the plant. Just like most seeds, they need to develop on a living plant for the seeds to mature properly. Wait for the hard shell of the seed pod to break open on its own before removal from the parent plant. At that point, you can be assured that the several seeds within (the number varies widely) are viable.

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 4:18PM
cuttingras_yahoo_com

I know this was originally a post from 2 years ago, but it helped me a lot! Here are a few pics of my 'fruits'. I searched and found this thread! Thanks!

Bookmark   June 23, 2009 at 9:33PM
luis_pr

Wow, I need the telephone number or cell number for your pollinator bees. Mine have never grown fruit. I guess maybe my bees are busy with the apple trees instead. Hee hee hee! Enjoy, Linda.

Bookmark   June 24, 2009 at 7:01PM
gardenlover25

I really wanted to grow this plant and see their bunch of fruits.

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 1:16PM
laura_gardener_2009

If I"m not interested in harvesting seeds, should I remove the fruit pods? If so, when?

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 10:43AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Remove the pods after they are well developed, but before they crack and spill their seeds.

Bookmark   August 3, 2009 at 1:08PM
More Discussions
Problem with leaves
Camellia Japonica - Just received this plant as a gift...
mimichatte
Can Professor Charles Sargent be kept smaller?
I'm looking to plant my first camellia and have fallen...
oberci
Planning for front yard camellias
I really want to add some camellias to my front yard...
Bama_Joe
Camellia Dying?
My cameliia was covered all winter with the white garden...
pattysheehan
Pink Perfection or Nuccio's Cameo?
I love the color and form of Pink Perfection and Nuccio's...
astphard
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™