Camellia - Sun scald/leaf scorch

lafu115(7)July 6, 2010

I planted an Autumn Pink Icicle about 6-8 weeks ago. It gets morning shade but full sun in the afternoon. Recently it has exhibited some sun scald/leaf scorch. Will it adjust to its environment or do I have to move it? It has been an exceptionally hot and dry June and early July here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Full sun in the afternoon may be too harsh as Japonicas are more tender. Can you transplant it elsewhere where it gets morning sun instead? Several hours or until 12-2pm tops? Damaged leaves will not recover but you do not need to remove them (let them fall when the plant wishes for them to do so). Just wondering, where are you located?

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 9:37PM
lafu115(7)

Thanks. I might be able to move them. I will look for a place. I am in Arlington, VA. The recent heat wave caused more damage to the camellias as well as two azaleas and one rhododendron.

Bookmark   July 9, 2010 at 6:59PM
subtropix

Lafu, you have a lot of company in dealing with heat-stressed plants. I recently moved a row of my camellias--planted in a western exposure but shaded by taller trees and shrubs. I have them in an eastern exposure. Make sure your plants are also well-mulched after moving--try to select a "less hot" day to do this if possible. I moved mine on a really hot day because I was so concerned and they still made a good adjustment as I think they were so glad to just get out of the heat. Have noticed similar heat issues with azaleas (planted in full southern exposure--can't move these) and some of the rhododendrons--especially those competing with trees for water. Hopefully the HOT and DRY year we are having is about to turn wetter.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 12:59PM
subtropix

Lafu, you have a lot of company in dealing with heat-stressed plants. I recently moved a row of my camellias--planted in a western exposure but shaded by taller trees and shrubs. I have them in an eastern exposure. Make sure your plants are also well-mulched after moving--try to select a "less hot" day to do this if possible. I moved mine on a really hot day because I was so concerned and they still made a good adjustment as I think they were so glad to just get out of the heat. Have noticed similar heat issues with azaleas (planted in full southern exposure--can't move these) and some of the rhododendrons--especially those competing with trees for water. Hopefully the HOT and DRY year we are having is about to turn wetter.

Bookmark   July 20, 2010 at 1:00PM
More Discussions
Camellia Photos
I'm really thrilled that my Camellia's are coming into...
gardenbug
Can Professor Charles Sargent be kept smaller?
I'm looking to plant my first camellia and have fallen...
oberci
camillia for porch
the porch is screened with southern exposure and i'd...
zippity1
Recent visit to flower market in China
Lot's of Camellias Part 1 of 2 But this is a rose.
jujujojo_gw
jujujojo_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™