A good mail order nursery

evilscott(USDA=10, Sunset=24)March 13, 2013

I hope this is not inappropriate, but I just have to say I ordered some plants from a SoCal mail order nursery and I was very happy with the service and the plants.
They specialize in rare flowering plants. Prices are great.
Anyway, it's Kartuz Greenhouses.
I have no relationship with them other than I stumbled upon them doing a Google search.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

what'ya get? what'ya get? we love to see new plants! :^)

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 5:11PM
wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)

I haven't been to Kartuz in a long time, but yes, I liked them a lot. I don't know if the older gentleman is still living, I hope so, but when I was there years ago, I admired some crocosmia 'Lucifer' that he had growing and he bent down and scooped out a handful of the corms to give to me. They do have some really cool plants.

Bookmark   March 13, 2013 at 6:09PM
evilscott(USDA=10, Sunset=24)

Left to right:
Abutilon x hybridum 'Cristina'
Pentalinon luteum (yellow mandevilla)
Clerodendrum thomsoniae 'Variegatum'

They were only about $9 apiece

Bookmark   March 14, 2013 at 1:13AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Cool! They look great.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 7:19PM
chadinlg

Got my order delivered last week. I really like their selection of less common plants. The pot size is small but the plants are healthy and well rooted - ready to pot up to the next size.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 10:05PM
calistoga_al

I am surprised no one mentioned Annie's Annuals & Perennials as a good mail order nursery. We are close enough to visit the nursery, but would order by mail otherwise. My garden is full of rare plants from Annies. Al

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 9:47AM
wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)

I would mention that some nurseries also carry some of Annie's plants in the Spring. Roger's Gardens in Corona del Mar and Anderson's Poway and San Diego that I know of. No shipping charges this way. I've gotten plants from her both ways. High Country Gardens is a good source also. I particularly like that their catalog and website specify which plants are deer and rabbit resistant.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 1:05PM
jxbrown(z10/24 SD, CA)

I'm another fan of the misnamed Annie's Annuals. They do a good job of packing too. I bought some plants from Las Pilitas and was very dissapointed by their packing. I will only buy from their nursery in the future.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 2:09PM
wcgypsy(10 / Sunset 23)

I'm afraid I'm not a fan of the SoCal Las Pilitas. I found their plants to be high priced for the size, friends paid $40 for a 5 gal romneya which turned out to have no roots at all (and he's a very experienced grower) and the last time I was there I found the young man working to be rather rude. I think that was because he was more interested in helping the couple who were going to give him a landscaping job.....I might add that I have never given a 'thumbs down' to any nursery but this one....

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 7:15PM
More Discussions
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
Ground cover for erosion control?
I am looking to plant a hillside with something that...
Sabine Halfhill
Container Gardening in Zone 9a
Hi everyone, I am pretty new to gardening and would...
giddyupgo
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™