Need potting advice for new camellia...

rachel77(7 TX)July 31, 2005

Okay, so I took the plunge and bought a 5 gallon nuccio's gem. "Gemmy" is about 5 ft tall or so. What do I do now? I've heard that camellias have shallow roots, so do I need a shallower pot than usual? What kind of potting mix do I use? What should I put in the bottom of the pot (ie, shards, etc.)? Do I water so that the soil stays slightly damp? When do I feed him???

Thanks!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
longriver(SF Bay Area)

Every area and every camellia gardener has ones own favorite potting mix. July is not the best time to change the pot or to modify your potting mix. Keep your present plant at a nice location under filtered sunlight. Well diluted fish emulsion and some chelated iron mix solution can be applied in September. Your camellia plant should be very happy in properly fed and properly moisted condition. Then go to locate an expeienced camellia gardener from your local Camellia Society. They should be very happy to give you the tips.

Some gardeners wash off all the old soil and add his own potting mix. Some only washed off 60 to70% of old mix pending the condition of old potting soil.. Usually It is being done in late dormant stage. Commonly very small fir bark is added to the mix to improve air space structure. Forest humus, good compose( not cattle waste nor redwood compose), aged ground peat, good commercial potting mix----etc all can be part of the mix.

If you intend to grow your camellia in the pot, new and better potting mix is must.

Bookmark   August 1, 2005 at 1:07AM
More Discussions
looking for a low growing 4ft. red Camellia
For zone 7b. What species will qualify ?
420benz
Camellia Dying?
My cameliia was covered all winter with the white garden...
pattysheehan
Camellia Sinensis Dying - Please Help!
Around the beginning of the year, I received a camellia...
goldenjoe
Camellia shelter - dropped blooms and damaged buds (cold)
I have a Camellia bed planted under the edge of my...
Bama_Joe
Recent visit to flower market in China
Lot's of Camellias Part 1 of 2 But this is a rose.
jujujojo_gw
Sponsored Products
Stratford Sconce
$386.00 | Bellacor
Delft Blue No. 4 by Moooi
$653.00 | Lumens
David Bromstad "Banana Split" Artwork
Grandin Road
Two-Piece Mr. & Mrs. Double Old-Fashioned Set
$50.00 | Horchow
Peach 'Mother' Engraved Photo Frame
$12.99 | zulily