Bob Hope Camillia - questions

karolokeJuly 24, 2009

I'm thinking of planting my first camillia bush and found a Bob Hope camillia at Lowes. The tag said it gets 6-10 feet tall and 3-6 feet wide. I'm hoping it will get at least 8 feet, and I don't want it wider than about 4 or 5 feet at the base. Does anyone know their mature size and how fast they grow? (I live in Texas) If it doesn't get very tall, I may exchange it for a taller variety but since the taller ones also get wider, I thought I'd try to trim it up as a tree. Do camillias look good trimmed as trees? Also, when do the Bob Hope camillias bloom, and are they hard to grow? I'd love to see pictures of the whole bush if anyone has any to share.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

A search for "bob hope camellia" -- without the quotes -- will find lots of images.

Bookmark   July 29, 2009 at 1:58AM
karoloke

Thanks jean001. I found one good picture of the whole plant which was helpful since I'm trying to judge the size.

Bookmark   August 5, 2009 at 2:03PM
luis_pr

Have you gone to the Rose Garden on Front Street in Tyler? While the main attraction is roses, they have a section where they grow camellias. My last visit was 3 or more years ago and I do not recall many details. But, you could call if they have the Bob Hope Camellia there and visit if they do.

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 11:21AM
karoloke

Thanks, luis_pr, I'll do that if it isn't too far for me.

Bookmark   August 20, 2009 at 11:38AM
More Discussions
Problem with leaves
Camellia Japonica - Just received this plant as a gift...
mimichatte
Camellia Dying?
My cameliia was covered all winter with the white garden...
pattysheehan
Camellia Photos
I'm really thrilled that my Camellia's are coming into...
gardenbug
Can Professor Charles Sargent be kept smaller?
I'm looking to plant my first camellia and have fallen...
oberci
Rescuing a giant lollipop camellia?
The house my family moved into last year has an obviously...
nonconformist_nymphette
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™