Help Worried about New Camellia Spellbound

jenni1388August 11, 2008

Hi !

I got some spellbound camellias today and heard full sun is good. Now that I have been doing some reading it seems that partial sun is better??? We are using a drip system where I have planted the camellias the top of the soil also seems real dry but the middle very moist. Should I be worried??? Sorry for all the questions I just don't want to kill my new plants.

Thanks!

Jennie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Here in the Dallas Area, camellias need shade starting at 11am-12pm. Further up north, you can probably exceed that. If the plant gets too much sun, those leaves in direct contact with the sun will start to brown out.

I use drip irrigation and have placed a dripper right close to the main stem of the camellias. Then as they grow, I add more tubing around the plant in order to water roots further away. My tubes have other drippers, about every 12" in both directions. They are set to run for 1 hour (equates 1 gallon of water) most of the year, except now, when I run them for 1.5 hours because our daily temps are in the 100-110s through September.

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 10:59PM
More Discussions
Camellia shelter - dropped blooms and damaged buds (cold)
I have a Camellia bed planted under the edge of my...
Bama_Joe
Camellia blooms for January
Finally a lack of fog let me roam outside and found...
Hogette-gw
Rescuing a giant lollipop camellia?
The house my family moved into last year has an obviously...
nonconformist_nymphette
winter snowman ice angels camellia in Massachusetts
Hi all, I would love to have a camellia in my new yard...
spunky_MA_z6
Recent visit to flower market in China
Lot's of Camellias Part 1 of 2 But this is a rose.
jujujojo_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™