Miss Sherry, fess up!

dr.liz(7 NJ)July 31, 2014

How many species of butterflies and moths have you grown in your career? I was trying to think, but I'm sure I missed a lot.

I think I may speak for the forum when I say we are in awe of you!
Liz

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Actually, I haven't raised that many different varieties of butterflies and moths, Liz, I just keep raising the same ones over and over again. But thank you anyway!

Here's the butterflies I've raised -

Pipevine Swallowtails (Jillions)
Zebra Swallowtails (Only two!)
Black Swallowtails (Many)
Giant Swallowtails (Not many lately)
Tiger Swallowtails (A few every year)
Spicebush Swallowtails (Very many, especially this year)
Palamedes Swallowtails (Many)
Cloudless Sulphurs
Sleepy Oranges
Little Yellows
Gulf Fritillaries (Many)
Variegated Fritillaries (A few most years)
Pearl Crescents (My first batch this year!)
Question Marks
American Ladies
Red Admirals
Buckeyes
Red-Spotted Purples (A lot every year)
Viceroys
Goatweed Leafwings
Monarchs
Long-tailed Skippers
Silver Spotted Skippers
Common Checkered Skippers

Moths -

Regal Moths (Hickory Horned Devils)
Io Moths
Luna Moths
Promethea Moths
Sweetbay Silk Moths
Cecropia Moths
Tobacco Hornworms/Carolina Sphinx Moth
Tersa Sphinx Moths

Sherry

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 5:39PM
terrene(5b MA)

"haven't raised that many", haha.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 5:49PM
dr.liz(7 NJ)

Omigosh, are you kidding? What do you consider "a lot?"i'm with terrene on this one.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 5:59PM
alex928 Z8/LA

Wow! I'm not sure I'd call that "not that many," but then, I've only raised BSTs so far. I could include a leopard moth cat that somehow got into my house among those if I hadn't put it back outside, I think last year. Sometimes I wish I had kept it, but I didn't know much about them at the time (actually, still don't, but how hard can it be to learn about them these days?). Plus it was too dark at the time to hunt around for food for it. Apparently they have quite a variety of host plants.

This post was edited by alex928 on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 18:20

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 6:13PM
angelimperfect36(9)

Since youve raised the pipevine swallowtails, what kind of dutchman pipevine do you have?? I seem to have a wrong kind (the calico one) but it does help out with the polydamas swallowtail but I want the PIPEVINE one as well! Heh I cannot seem to fine the plant for it (Wooly Pipevine). Help!

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 6:56PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

You need Aristolochia tomentosa to raise pipevine swallowtails. Pine Ridge Gardens in Arkansas carries it, as does Mail Order Gardens in Florida, but I'd be careful about Mail Order Gardens, since I read somewhere they were using pesticides on their plants! I find this amazing, since they're a native plant nursery that advertises host and nectar plants for butterflies. If you order from them, I'd ask the owner (Amy, I think) if they've used pesticides on the pipevines. If they are, then you'd need to wait a while before planting it out, since it would kill any caterpillars that ate the leaves until the pesticides wore off.

You could look up Aristolochia tomentosa on the internet - there are undoubtedly other nurseries that sell it. I've got A. macrophylla, but it hasn't done nearly as well for me as the A. tomentosa, which is better adapted to the high heat and humidity in the Deep South.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Pine Ridge Gardens

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 9:13PM
mallory13

Wow thats amazing!!!!

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 10:12PM
msmorningsong(SW FL 10A)

That is quite an extensive list MsSherry, agree with others.
Have you ever tried your hand at the Polka Dot Tiger moth? I especially like this one, as it appears in daylight. The cats are so cute, with their large, soft fur-tufts, and the moths are drop-dead gorgeous! And all it takes is a Mandevilla or two.

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 11:53AM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Polka dot tiger moths don't ocur here, MsMorningSong. As far as I know, they only occur in Florida, and I thought they only used oleanders, didn't know they'd also use mandevilla.

We do have a close relative of theirs, scarlet bodied wasp moths, though. They reportedly lay their eggs on climbing hempweed, so, when it started coming up in a certain section of my property, I let it grow. Well, it's grown and grown, but I've never found a caterpillar. Scarlet bodied wasp moths only show up here in late summer and fall, so maybe it's too late in the year for egg laying, I don't know. Anyway, I'm leaving the vines, just in case!

Here's a picture I made of one last year, nectaring on Ellen's Blue butterfly bush -

Sherry

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 2:08PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

I found another picture from last year, I think it was -

Sherry

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 2:29PM
msmorningsong(SW FL 10A)

What a beautiful moth MsSherry! I hope you end up getting some cats. You are most certainly the expert, I hadn't looked up their range (Polka dots) Does the wasp moth also occur in Florida? (I know I could google it, but like the conversation to stay here)

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 2:58PM
Leafhead

Polka Dot Tigers also lay on Oleander quite frequently as well :)

John

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 3:11PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Yes, scarlet bodied wasp moths occur in Florida, too, at least my books say they do.

Sherry

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 5:01PM
msmorningsong(SW FL 10A)

Thank you for the reply. I will keep checking my enormous Mandevilla for cats, (I saw them earlier this year, and for many prior) to take a pic for verification of them using this for their babies.
Leafhead: TY, I don't have oleandar, but perhaps I should get some to help draw in these lovely moths!
An now I must think of planting plant some climbing hempweed! :)

Bookmark   August 1, 2014 at 6:13PM
Leafhead

There is another Wasp Moth that uses Oleander as well, the Lesser Oleander Moth (The Polka Dot being the Greater). I've had both cats occur on my Adenium obesum (Mohave Desert Rose) too.

Bookmark   August 5, 2014 at 10:57AM
More Discussions
Camera settings for butterflies...part III
The quality of your photographs relies on proper settings...
bob_71
Looking for a source of beautiful, realistic fake butterflies
I am helping a friend decorate her baby nursery. I...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
"showy milkweed" asclepias-speciosa plants available
For your information: Milkweed plants currently available...
mary_littlerockar
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
Spring preview
Unseasonably warm temps caused early flowering of desert...
joncongaroo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™