Please help with transplanting camellias.

mock8jamesAugust 27, 2009

I have recently bought a home and need to update the yard. The man i bought it form was in love with camellias. I have over 50 different plantes in the yard he said. I love the privacy they give me but i want them moved to the edge of the yard instead of the middle like they are now. I live in hot south georgia. What do i need to do . Its not gona kill me if they dont survive but i want to give it a try. My plan is about oct or nov dig up what i can handle by cutting the roots and replant. What do yall think

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amberroses(10a)

I think I would wait until after they bloom.

Bookmark   August 27, 2009 at 9:01PM
luis_pr

amberroses is referring to the fact that camellias are starting to develop flower buds now and you may miss the bloomage if you transplant now. Plants that are moved will usually suffer from transplant shock and existing flower buds may be aborted during these stressful times. Depending on the type and variety, camellias can start in Sept-Oct & bloom well into March of next 2010 (or a little after that). The previous owner might be able to give you more accurate blooming times.

Your success rate may be better if you do this while the plants are dormant, i.e., when Fall-Winter arrive and not while Summer is going strong. Choose a location that protects them from the hot afternoon summer sun. For example, select a spot that gets shaded at the same time as the current one does or gets shade starting around 11am-12pm. The sasanqua leaves will handle more sun than japonicas leaves do so keep that in mind too. The new location should be mulched with 3-4 of mulch and should have a sprinkler/drip system that can provide as much moisture as the existing location.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Information by the A. C. S.

Bookmark   August 28, 2009 at 7:11AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

If you are still in touch with the previous owner, it would be extremely thoughtful if you contacted him and asked if he would like to come (in the late fall or winter) and take a few. Since you don't seem to particularly care, I mean.

He might even give you some tips about transplanting so that you have some chance of success.

Bookmark   August 28, 2009 at 4:03PM
luis_pr

Or see if members of a local camellia chapter would be interested (you do not indicate where you live so I cannot recommend any ACS Chapter but you can look in their website.

Bookmark   August 30, 2009 at 2:28AM
More Discussions
Camellia Dying?
My cameliia was covered all winter with the white garden...
pattysheehan
Where can I find Professor C. Sargent?
Basically, I've fallen in love with the look of this...
oberci
Rescuing a giant lollipop camellia?
The house my family moved into last year has an obviously...
nonconformist_nymphette
any truly freeze-resistant camellia flowers?
It seems like when camellias are discussed as winter-blooming...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Planning for front yard camellias
I really want to add some camellias to my front yard...
Bama_Joe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™