Potted saguaro care

socksApril 17, 2012

Can someone direct me a to a link giving information about how to care for a saguaro in a pot? I found some info but mostly about saguaros in the ground.

We are in zone 7b.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lzrddr(91360)

I have had one in a pot for years and it does not seem that hard to keep... just plant in well draining soil and don't overwater. Actually, they are a LOT easier to keep alive in a pot than in the ground (where they tend to rot here in California where they are not as happy). Can't help you with indoor care as I have never done that. Ours lives under an eave in winter so it does not get much rainwater.

Bookmark   April 17, 2012 at 9:58PM
greenclaws UKzone8a

Hello, would either or both of you be able to post a picture of your Saguaros? Reason is, I have one, (or so I have been told a while back), that I grew from seed several years ago and would really like to compare and get your opinion on mine. I can't believe they would have included such a plant in a mixed packet of seeds as they are huge in their natural environs!!!!
I have a pic taken the other day that I can post in the next hour or so when I get onto the other computer, so I will check back in a while.....many thanks.
Gill from the UK.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 7:36AM
socks

Thanks lzrddr. I've had mine about 5 years but am giving to my friend who lives in another (colder winter)zone. She's worried about proper care so I tried to find a good Internet reference for her. I've never given it much special care other than an occasional repotting in a clay pot. I'm thinking she might need to take it inside in the winter. I never did.

I'll try to post a pic in a few days greenclaws.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 8:41AM
socks

Thanks lzrddr. I've had mine about 5 years but am giving to my friend who lives in another (colder winter)zone. She's worried about proper care so I tried to find a good Internet reference for her. I've never given it much special care other than an occasional repotting in a clay pot. I'm thinking she might need to take it inside in the winter. I never did.

I'll try to post a pic in a few days greenclaws.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 9:11AM
greenclaws UKzone8a

Hello again, here's the pic of my cactus..is it a Sagauro as I was told years ago? It is about 15 yrs old I would guess but it's raining far too hard for me to trek to the g/h and check it's label at the moment!
Gill from the UK.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 11:47AM
greenclaws UKzone8a

Ooops, sorry forgot to mention, it's greenhouse grown all year, kept just above freezing in winter and gets fed and watered very sparingly. Been permanently potted in a clay pot...mainly for stability. Realise my conditions are different to yours and it may not even be a Sagauro, sorry not to be of much help to you. Hope you get some more imput.
Gill from the UK.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 12:00PM
socks

here's a pic for you. Don't know the age of mine but I've had it about 6 years. It's about 10" tall and has lived outside most of its life. I don't know if yours is a saguaro or not but it certainly looks like it to me. If you'd like a close up of spines, I can do that on the weekend.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 12:29PM
socks

Just for fun,heres a shot of one in the Arizona desert taken on a recent driving trip. The saguaros in the desert often look very eroded and damaged around the bottoms, maybe from small animals, I'm not sure.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 12:36PM
cactusmcharris

Nice plants, folks

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 1:33PM
greenclaws UKzone8a

Good grief, those are humungous, lets hope mine stays small then whatever it is!!!
Gill from the UK.

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 6:03PM
socks

Those are probably over 100 yrs old so I don't think you have to worry!

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 7:25PM
More Discussions
Waves and Ripples: A Study in Contrast
My Waves and Ripple Jades side by side... Christopher...
kaktuskris
How to keep my boojum seedlings alive
Hi I just sprouted some boojum seeds overnight in a...
erythronium80
Will this poor Jade leaf make it all the way to a new plant?
Hi, A few weeks ago I witnessed a leaf fall from a...
ash1970_gw
How long do Epiphyllum cuttings last for?
Hi everyone before I got bogged down with school I...
snowboardinggirl
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Chandra Rugs Thomaspaul Brown/Pink 2 ft. 6 in. x 7
Home Depot
AICO Furniture - Beverly Blvd 5 Piece Upholstered California King...
Great Furniture Deal
Ivanhoeâ„¢ Conoco Graniteware Porcelain Pendant
Barn Light Electric Company
Mora Chair - Cordova Eclipse Gray
Joybird Furniture
Oval Steel 16-hook Grid Pot Rack
Overstock.com
Penelope Duvet Cover - Queen
$399.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™