Mystery Flower ID Help?

hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CAMarch 23, 2011

One of my friends who has a lovely garden dedicated to her sister Dale, who passed away from lung cancer sent me a few photos of a lovely little yellow flower that we're having a hard time identifying. I think it's in the Cosmos family. At least, that's what the foliage sure looks like, but it has such a fancy double flower, I'm not sure if that's the right genus or not. Here are 3 photos, and sure would love some help on this:

Patty S.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
borderbarb

The bud and foliage reminds me of Bachelor's Button [Coneflower] ... but have never seen the yellow .... did a search on Bachelor's Button and it led me to
Asteraceae ... which BB is in the family ... and there are pictures that seem similar to the one you show.
//////
Or maybe SWEET SULTAN [is the flower fragrant?]

Here is a link that might be useful: Asteraceae pictures

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 9:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Barb, my friend figured it out with the help of a friend of hers who is a very sharp biologist (and married to a sharp biologist!) It is Desert Dandelion (Malacothrix glabrata), a California desert native. Very cool little flower!

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert Dandelion

Bookmark   March 24, 2011 at 12:24AM
More Discussions
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
You can look up your water company on this site
Here's an interesting site where you can look up your...
socks
Iso bay leaves
Dear gardening friends in California, I am looking...
KatyaKatya
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™