'Dirty' looking monarch cats?

sitali301(6)July 14, 2010

I am currently raising about 15 monarch cats, the first of this season. I'm noticing that some appear "dirty" with smudgy markings and more black than white in the stripes. I thought I remember reading that this could indicate OE? I hope not... They are all acting healthy and eating up a storm. Should I be worried? Thanks for any input! Here's a pic.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bananasinohio(6OH)

There is a lot of variation. Are the temps cooler? Sometimes melanization across the caterpillar is because of cooler temperatures. If the caterpillar has OE, it tends to be more sluggish and have very dry frass. The caterpillars almost seem constipated.
-Elisabeth

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 6:01PM
caterwallin

Here are some Monarch cats that I took a picture of two years ago. You can see how they can vary in color. I've had some a few times that had next to no black in them at all, just yellow and white mostly. I wish I'd have had one of those at the time that I took this picture; I'd have put it in the picture too.

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 10:32PM
runmede(7a Virginia)

This website has a picture of a caterpillar that actually has Oe.

Here is a link that might be useful: OE Spores

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 11:18PM
caterwallin

I was looking around on the computer to see if I had one that was more yellow and found one. Now you'll just have to imagine this one beside my other three above. :)

Bookmark   July 14, 2010 at 11:31PM
sitali301(6)

Yes, my house is air conditioned so temps are definitely cooler than outside. I didn't realize that can make a difference! Interesting!

Caterwallin, so all those cats eclosed successfully and were healthy? That makes me feel much better!

Thanks all!

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 8:10AM
runmede(7a Virginia)

If they appear healthy, then they probably are. You can test them after they emerge. Some that have the OE will not make it out of their pupa. Others, will emerge and appear healthy. Learning to test them will let you know if they really have the spores. But, there are other things that can cause disease; for example, bacteria.

I've listed the Project Monarch Health website, it has information about how to raise healthy Monarchs and how to test for OE.

Here is a link that might be useful: Project Monarch Health

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 8:21AM
ericwi

Some years ago I came across research done in Canada, with regard to monarch development and ambient temperature. They found out that when the temperature of the environment is around 81 degrees F, the caterpillars and chrysalids develop to maturity in the shortest time. Wide black stripes on monarch cats are a sign of cool temps. If the caterpillar is infected with Oe, the chrysalid might have dark patches.

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 8:49AM
runmede(7a Virginia)

Temperature constraits for Monarchs:
31 C to 35.5 C temperatures become lethal (87.8 to 95.5 F)
12 C development threshold (53.6 F)

The Monarchs have ways of controlling their temperature. Staying under leaves during the day when it is hot. In the late fall, I've seen Monarchs and Black Swallowtails caterpillars get darker. They do absorb more light and can warm up faster.

Here is a link that might be useful: Temperature Constraints

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 9:20AM
caterwallin

sitali301, Yes, I'm happy to say that those in the pictures all eclosed successfully. I've had Monarchs (and other kinds) that didn't eclose successfully, but that's to be expected. Of the ones that I raise, though, far more make it than don't make it. Best of luck with yours.
Cathy

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 3:45PM
More Discussions
Disney's "Wings of Life"
If you want to be truly astonished by the beauty and...
saxonmjs
Any one ready for spring?
I'm so done with winter! I'm ready for spring . This...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Monsanto and monarchs
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/01/27/monsanto-we-are-absolutely-committed-to-monarch-butterfly-conservation/...
arkpollinator
2014 Recap w/ Photos
Every winter I like to go through my yardlist and photos...
molanic
Did anyone watch the Monarch Butterfly segment on CBS Sunday Morning?
This was interesting and inspirational! The speaker...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™