What to do with long stem

pennyhal(11Sunset23)April 7, 2012

This is one of my not named Graptos, well, it probably has a name but I don't know it. Anyhow, it has sprouted little ones at its base, but this is getting top heavy. I know how to behead them, but don't know what to do about the stem.

I have another one with the same problem, and it has started a crack about midway down the stem. It is beginning to turn color there. I may just have to whack it off.

A third one, I just beheaded it and it is starting to sprout roots. So far no new growth at the base. I cut the stem down about three inches and set it aside. It just shriveled up. Then I stuck it somewhere, I just don't remember where. Hopefully, it'll grow and I'll make a pleasant discovery.

So, what do I do with this stem? Will it grow new plants too?

Penny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hijole(9 Sunny California)

Penny, the good news is you have options which sounds like you know already, I've seen these growing long stems leaning over the pot looking as pretty as one could imagine, stems becoming thicker and longer.

Or you can behead as you mentioned and plant the cut part and wait for area that's been cut to start new growth.
Either way you have s nice plant that has a lot of potential.

Have a great weekend penny .

Greg

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 6:13PM
pennyhal(11Sunset23)

Oh, I didn't know that the cut end would start new growth. I thought it would only start at the base of the stem. Well, that's great to know!

The problem is that these stems are starting to crack at the point where they meet the pot. The weight of the head is putting too much stress on the stem at that point. I'll get out there and see if I can get a photo of a stem cracking.

So, if I dehead it, the end of the stem will start new growth which will still leave it top heavy and prone to cracking. So I have to cut the stem back too. Is there anything I can do with this stem that gets cut back?

Penny

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 8:26PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

the new growth on the old stem will be small for quite a while, you can harvest several rosettes off of it before they get too heavy. Once you build up a good supply, just cut it off, or if you have enough already, just cut it off.

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 8:40PM
pennyhal(11Sunset23)

This is a photo of my problem with the stems splitting and why I'm trying to get rid of these long stems. I probably should just dehead them before they ever get this long.

Penny

Bookmark   April 8, 2012 at 3:52PM
More Discussions
Blue Bird Jade - opinions please
I got this beautiful Blue Bird Jade September '12 from...
lme5573
Echeveria propagation and soil help for newbie
Hi! I'm new to this forum and new to raising succulents....
lavendarlilies
Great news!
End of day one for my new greenhouse! It is larger,has...
spikef35
Gollum Surprise
Gollum leaf I came across tonight. Christopher
kaktuskris
Is it ok to plant this in the ground?
It's opuntia englmanii in the clay based houston soil....
spikef35
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™