I bought a Spice Zee nectaplum this weekend

melle_sacto(Z9/Sunset 14 CA)March 22, 2009

And my DH planted it last night. The tree will receive full sun and we added a little compost to the planting hole (otherwise it's in unamended soil). It was bare root and had already broken dormancy.

Can anyone give me advice on proper care? I believe we'll have to treat it for leaf curl every winter/spring but it seems like all the stone fruits have some trouble or another. We LOVE nectarines and this tree is really pretty with its purple leaves and pink flowers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davissue_zone9(z9 Sunset 14)

The wholesale nursery that supplied the tree has a very nice website with this sort of advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: dave wilson advice

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 12:04AM
melle_sacto(Z9/Sunset 14 CA)

Thank you! In my web searches, this particular page never popped up :-)

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 8:48AM
CA Kate

Something new!!! We went to the nursery this afternoon and bought a Spice Zee. It is already in the ground and I can't wait to see how they taste --- probably next year. I LOVE fruit hybrids.

PS There is another called "Peach x Plum Hybrid" that I'm still looking for.

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 7:53PM
sautesmom

The Peach/Plum is called Tri Lite, and Raintree still has some in stock if you want mail order (they also have Spice Zees)
A Spice Zee tree was number one on my list this year, because I had one at the farmer's market last summer, and it was fabulous, much better than pluots! Unfortunately mine STILL is not even swelling buds, much less blooming, despite the fact I bought it in January and most of my peaches are almost done blooming by now. I saw one at the nursery on Sunday that was blooming, although most of the others ones still looked like mine, dead-like but with green branches. I may take it back and exchange it for the blooming one tomorrow, because I am getting worried it's not going to make it.

Carla in Sac

Here is a link that might be useful: Plum crosses Raintree

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 8:17PM
brotherjake(5A UT)

There are a ton of pruning videos on youtube. I would check there for pruning instructions. I would also look go to www.davewilson.com for care advice. That website is loaded. I would also recommend not letting it set fruit for the first two years. Use this time work on the shape of the tree and fertilizing with root stimulator. It gives the tree time to establish strong roots which in turn give you better fruit. Its a trade off. I will be putting two in next spring. I may have to SOFT order them from Dave Wilson because I want them on St Julian rootstock. Better suited to my heavy soil.

Good luck and enjoy.

Bookmark   June 10, 2010 at 1:15AM
More Discussions
Please Help Save the Monarch Butterflies
I posted this info to the Butterfly Garden Forum, but...
Evelyn256
Privacy Trees?
Good afternoon, I'm hoping to find a recommendation...
sirwoodland
Shrubs for zone 9b (Riverside)
What shrubs have these attributes: Evergreen Height:...
Gary
ISO Bored/Retired Landscape Designer In Sacramento Area
Posting to ask if anyone in my area might know if there...
billy3p
Ever wondered about Moon Valley Nursery?
If you're a fossil like me and still subscribe to a...
kentc
Sponsored Products
Monarch Specialties Brushed Silver Mirrored Accent Table I 3706
Beyond Stores
Luminous 48" Wide Clear and Blue Crystal Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Oxford Savannah Runner 2'3" x 8' - BROWN/RED
$239.00 | Horchow
Mini Pendant No. 7908/7909 by Savoy House
$62.00 | Lumens
Panton Flower Pot Pendant Silver
ModernistLighting.com