willow cuttings

runningtrailsApril 26, 2008

I have some rooted weepeing and curly willow cuttings. When is it safe to plant them in the ground? Is it still too early?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
madtripper(5/6 Guelph)

I assume they are now inside. Start taking them outside to get them used to the sun and cooler temps. Bring indoors if frost is expected. Plant in 2 weeks - kee[ well watered. These are really weeds - so they grow easily.

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 10:16PM
ianna(Z5b)

Be careful not to plant these close to your house or a neighbors home. The roots can be very damaging to foundations, sidewalks, sewer pipes, etc.. And they will send out roots from far locations just to get to the source of water. Like what madtripper said, these are like weeds!

I have a curly willow cutting planted in a container which I leave outdoors on my porch all winter long. It's survived this way for the past 6 years now

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 11:07AM
runningtrails

I'll keep them away from the buildings. I have no neighbors and lots of property. Maybe I'll try one in a pot on the deck too! Sounds like a great idea!

Bookmark   April 30, 2008 at 7:15PM
madtripper(5/6 Guelph)

I live on 5 acres with rabit problems in winter - they eat the bark from the curly willow. this year I protected the bottom half during winter - no damage.

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 8:32PM
More Discussions
Greeting from new gardener from Newfoundland !!!
Hey, Everyone here im very very very excited to find...
ivy_huan
Raspberry Transplanting
Hi All, We transplanted raspberries yesterday into...
CassidyResort
hardy annuals
hey all i live on vancouver island, just wondering...
tomlinson04
Does anyone know what's up with Spring Garden.ca?
Hi, I'm waiting on some bittersweet vines that I've...
lilies_and_roses
Canadian Garden blogs
I would love to collect a list of Canadian garden blogs...
Crafty Gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™