Transplanting camellia and backup cutting to root too?

bethfl(7b)September 2, 2006

We are moving back to SC and I want to dig up my five foot camellia that my dad rooted from my granny's 100+year old plant. Bloomed for the first time two years ago. Thinking about putting it in a pot to take up to Columbia. Have read the helpful suggestions but want to get a few cuttings to root just in case. Would this stress the plant too much to do both? Not familiar with the ins and outs of camellias and want as much advice to help preserve this one!

Thanks, Beth :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It seems a terrible shame to attempt the dig of this very old camellia. Why not let it survive and thrive where it is? It's a big risk and would take professional resources, in my opinion. Millions and millions of people have left their grannies' homesteads to move elsewhere. Take cuttings with you.....not the plant. Let that part of your heritage thrive where it is.

That is my heart-felt opinion, having had to leave a property or two behind. It's a blessing to go back and visit those plants!

Another thing to consider is that the older a plant is, the less able it is to recover from stress. Plants get weaker and prone to problems as they age, just like we do. Fact, not theory.

Bookmark   September 5, 2006 at 10:46PM
bethfl(7b)

You make some good points. Probably will leave it. I'd feel terrible if it didn't make it! Thanks, Beth

Bookmark   September 8, 2006 at 9:26AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Exactly. There's lots of good web sites explaining how to best take camellia cuttings. Attached is just one, in case you haven't been exploring yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia propagation

Bookmark   September 9, 2006 at 2:12PM
More Discussions
Problem with leaves
Camellia Japonica - Just received this plant as a gift...
mimichatte
camillia for porch
the porch is screened with southern exposure and i'd...
zippity1
Any non-sinensis Camellia used for tea?
Does anyone know if any of the camellias besides camellia...
merrybookwyrm
Camellia Dying?
My cameliia was covered all winter with the white garden...
pattysheehan
Recent visit to flower market in China
Lot's of Camellias Part 1 of 2 But this is a rose.
jujujojo_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™