after the roots grow on cuttings; what then?

pattig_nc(SEcoastNCz8)September 10, 2004

Call me a poor planner or a pessimest, but I'm delighted to describe my "problem"; my camellia cuttings have rooted! It's what I was hoping for but heard they were so tough to start, so I'm surprised and thrilled. I took them from some antique camillias at our former home, and started them in a covered terrarium on my breeze way. I have to decide now what to do with these mini-plants; They have 2 original leaves or halved leaves each, at least one tiny new leaf bud (which showed up after I finally excised the mini-flower-buds they were working on,)and most of all, roots! but since they're in the terrarium, I'm worried that they'll get (roots) tangled up together. If I take them out and put them in pots, should I keep them in the breeze-way (screened, zone 8) to over-winter? should I still keep them covered with clear plastic? Are there other disadvantages besides root entanglement to just leaving them where they are? Or are they hardy enough just to pot them up and put them outside? It's in the high sixties at night here still. How much sun can they tolerate, or do they need? How should I proceed, and thanks in advance! Pat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Peter60(Yorkshire UK)

Definately lightly shade them from direct sun and I would carefully pot them up singly into small clay pots of appropriate lime-free compost, water in, and continue them in a close environment while they become established - polythene, cold frame or back into the terrarium. Give protection from frosts during their first winter and plant out late spring or early summmer.

Here is a link that might be useful: my website

Bookmark   September 12, 2004 at 8:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jared_sc(z7b SC)

A few days ago, after finding a large limb of one of our 'Lady Clare' camellias broken by a pine branch that had fallen during a storm, I spent a few minutes reading the chapter on propagation in one of my old Sunset publications entitled _Growing Camellias_. That chapter advises against moving rooted camellia cuttings except when they are in active growth. It says that if you move them when they are not in active growth, you will lose a high percentage of them.

Bookmark   September 15, 2004 at 7:31PM
More Discussions
anyone growing one of the 'Tama' varieties in a cold zn 7?
If so, how did they fare after last winter? I do see...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Rescuing a giant lollipop camellia?
The house my family moved into last year has an obviously...
nonconformist_nymphette
winter snowman ice angels camellia in Massachusetts
Hi all, I would love to have a camellia in my new yard...
spunky_MA_z6
Pink Perfection or Nuccio's Cameo?
I love the color and form of Pink Perfection and Nuccio's...
astphard
Camellia blooms for January
Finally a lack of fog let me roam outside and found...
Hogette-gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™