43 BST eggs in 2 days...what to do?

mschaetz(7)July 7, 2011

I have collected all I can see so far. I planted some more dill seeds, even though it will not be big enough for these cats to use. Can I mail some of these to anyone? I have no idea and have never mailed eggs.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mschaetz(7)

Let me say, I would like to try and keep all of them. But I don't want my greed to end up sacrificing some of the cats because of lack of food. I can buy some more dill plants I suppose. But isn't that going to have to be a whole lot of dill to feed that many?

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 5:32PM
fighting8r(10 Fort Myers Florida)

What I do, is I try and keep some potted plants for them when they are really small, then as they get bigger, where they are eating a whole plant a day, I start buying parsley from the grocery store, like 99 cents for a bunch. Wash it REALLY well, and keep it in water in the fridge until they need more (but dont keep it too long since it needs to be as fresh as possible). I stick a few sprigs (more as needed) in little bottles of water and stays pretty good for them in the short time before they gobble it up. Has worked for me when I have that many. If you leave them in "the wild" they;ll be "sacrificed" to predators anyway. Good luck!

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 5:57PM
tdogmom(9)

You can legally ship the eggs to someone who lives IN your own state. :) Do not ship outside your state, though.

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 6:16PM
mschaetz(7)

Oh I had no idea you could only ship inside your state... but that makes since. Texas is a really big state :D

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 7:21PM
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH

Shipments across state lines require USDA permits because the Plant Protection Act of 2000 defines caterpillars as plant pests. Doesn't mean people pay attention to it. Some joker has introduced cecropias into California. The first official "wild" California cecropia was found in April.

Bookmark   July 7, 2011 at 7:51PM
nardaf

I always plant bronze fennel, that yields much more food than dill. I have an entire corner in my garden set aside for the fennel. It reseeds itself each year, but you must watch so it doesn't take over the entire garden.

Narda

Bookmark   July 12, 2011 at 7:21PM
More Discussions
Seed Trade
I have a bunch of new packets (unopened, this season)...
msmorningsong
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
Forum changes due to Houzz
I'm never happy when somebody buys up a website I use...
KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
They're back
Here in Central Florida we are at mid spring. I have...
tom123_gw
We need Monarch wings to help injured Monarchs!
We are looking for Monarch wings anyone has saved from...
KSOhio
Sponsored Products
Bixby Collection 3 Drawer Media Chest - Antique Walnut - IDF-7366TV
$629.99 | Hayneedle
Runner Rug: Candice Olson Pear 2' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
Slumber Solutions 2-inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper with Waterproof Cover
Overstock.com
Oxygen Lighting | Balance Vanity Light
$250.50 | YLighting
Nobi Small Pendant by FontanaArte
$540.00 | Lumens