cedar hedge won't grow

octapussApril 26, 2008

i have planted white cedar along my property two summers ago. They are about five feet high and moderately filled out. i have fertilized them in september and may for the past year. As i patiently wait this spring i have not seen any new growth? Am i being impatient? IS there something i am not doing right? Any tips out there? I was told that these cedars grow fast and would be great for make a hedge along the property line.

thanks for the input!

greg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ianna(Z5b)

Check for disease. These do grow but in spurts. Be patient. If it is healthy, then there's no problem. Continue to water well. Do not over fertilize which can cause chemical root burns. Most especially don't fertilize on hot dry days. Top dress with some mulching and perhaps some composted manure and these trees will flourish.

Ianna

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 9:05AM
octapuss

thanks for the response.... i have covered with mulch, to retain moisture in the summer months.... i just thought after two springs i would see some new growth.... will have to be patient!

Bookmark   April 26, 2008 at 2:39PM
sharont(z5 can)

Water, water, water. My cedars grow fast in wet clay soil but so slow in sandier dry soil.

Bookmark   April 28, 2008 at 10:06AM
ianna(Z5b)

But don't over water. I've lost a cedar due to it getting water logged becuase rainwater from a neighbor's downspout drowned it.

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 12:03PM
ottawan_z5a

Look at it his way. Once established to your desired height, the slow growth will be a positive point requiring less trimming.

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
test
test
Nitefall
Has anyone given up on hostas?
I know they're a shade garden staple, and they look...
noplacelikehomeforsure
Tayberry plants
Hi fellow garderners, I used to order Tayberry plant...
maskoutain
Brampton Hardiness Zone
Hello all, Is anyone of you expert on Hardiness Zones. Could...
radovan
Canadian Garden blogs
I would love to collect a list of Canadian garden blogs...
Crafty Gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™