Keeping dog out of garden

nico6196(Z5a)April 21, 2008

We have a large german shepherd that lives in the backyard year round. We have been unable to keep him out of the border garden that goes around the whole backyard (there are two other dogs both behind us and beside us - so he's often in the gardens). I've given up hope for most of the garden but we want to plan some cedars in a couple of weeks (to provide a privacy screen) and I want to make sure he doesn't come near them (his urine has killed pretty much every other evergreen in our garden). Any ideas on a really good barrier? Any good barriers that aren't visually disgusting (will still but up a really ugly one if it means we save the cedars)? TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ianna(Z5b)

Hi, Is it possible to fence it off? There are nice alumnimum rail type fencing available and these are usually cheap. If fencing is not an option, there's a plant called SCAT DOG which if planted every 3 feet (according to the seller) will deter dogs because dogs cannot stand the smell. This is available from Richters by the way.

Ianna

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 1:30PM
runningtrails

A nice short picket fence would look good and deter him, maybe, if he's not a jumper.

Bookmark   April 27, 2008 at 5:49AM
gemini_mum

I keep my rose canes and place them around the garden for 'all' animals in my garden, I find it a natural way... I don't have to keep re-applying and you can't notice them in the garden.... just have to remember when you go to weed that they are there! It has kept my rotti's out of my beds so its worked for me :))

Bookmark   April 30, 2008 at 8:45AM
myfairychloe(5b Guelph ON)

I have the same problem with my boxer. She gets in our back garden when the dogs behind us come out to do their thing. Her nose has to be in the fence. LOL She gets muddy paws and comes in the house...nice on the carpet if I don't catch her. I'm wondering if perhaps those citronella plants at Zehrs/Loblaws/Superstore will work...isn't it used in those barking collars?

Bookmark   May 19, 2008 at 11:07AM
More Discussions
Tayberry plants
Hi fellow garderners, I used to order Tayberry plant...
maskoutain
hardy annuals
hey all i live on vancouver island, just wondering...
tomlinson04
Wish there was a local plant coop plant/seed group near
What I mean is a group that could pool cash togther...
krystarz
Help Me Please Identify Unknown Plant
Hi, there is an unknown plant growing in my garden....
petra.gombos
Hey, where'd the Canadian Exchange go...
It seems to have disappeared.
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™