McPeg--sweet cicely

greylady_gardenerApril 5, 2012

**I posted this in an old thread of yours in the WS forum but wasn't sure that you were there much, so am re-posting it here.**

Hi Peggy,

I wanted to let you know that I have sprouts of sweet ciciely!! I can't believe it. I WS them last year after you sent them to me and they never sprouted. Well I left the container and never dumped it out last year and I am so glad I did. When checking the containers while doing a clean up the other day I noticed green sprouts with big seed coverings hanging on the end of some of the first leaves that come out. I wasn't sure if they weren't seeds from the japanese ivory silk lilac that is nearby so I double checked today, what the sweet cicely seeds look like and sure enough that is what they are. Today one of them is getting a tiny true leaf. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xaroline(zone 3 Calgary)

Thanks for posting the info.
I tossed the jugs after there were no sprouts.
I have more seeds,but will keep jugs through a second winter this time.
Caroline

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 11:29AM
mcpeg(5a)

Excellent news! I'm thrilled and happy to hear you kept the seeds still. As I mentioned last year I purchased the plants from Ritchers for our new home and they are sprouting this year. It's their second year so I'm hoping to have seeds to share again (I haven't forgotten I want to send you some more fresh seeds). I'm thrilled for you. They are such beautiful plants.

They do well in moist areas with shade I have found. Dry, full sun areas can kill them.

Exciting news all round, eh?

Whoo hoo you're a Mama now! Congratulations and thanks for sharing the news. How exciting!

Cheers,
Peggy

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 8:10PM
greylady_gardener

Very exciting, Peg! I couldn't believe it. Usually the green that shows up in my old containers is just weeds, which is what I thought it was when I first saw it. Good job it still had the seed coat hanging on the end of the leaf.
Can't wait until it gets big. :)
Lois

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 6:48PM
mcpeg(5a)

Lois, how many are germinating? I'm being nosy this morning.
Cheers,
Peggy

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 7:41AM
greylady_gardener

morning Peg,
there were two sprouts. They have really long first leaves. I will go out later and take a pic and post it here if I can remember how to do it.
The tag with all the info is still in the container so that also helped with I.D. along with the unusual seed cover. They are big seeds.

be back later with a pic (hopefully)--I may end up having to send it to your e-mail, but will see later.
Nice and sunny today and supposed to get to 13 or 14 degrees.

Lois

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 9:16AM
greylady_gardener

busy day today, but got some pics this afternoon. now let's see if I can get them posted. :)
Hopefully you will be able to see the tag that I had in the container when I planted them.

woohoo!! I did it!! :)

Bookmark   April 7, 2012 at 7:01PM
mcpeg(5a)

Lois,
thanks for getting the picture posted. When I clicked on the pictures, a new tab opened to Image Shack and I saw the pictures larger. Sure glad you didn't toss the container. Now it will be interesting to find out how much they grow this summer. Don't forget to put in a shaded, moist area. Shade being extremely important.
How exciting!

Happy Easter,
Peggy

Bookmark   April 8, 2012 at 8:32AM
More Discussions
Hi from Alabama, I have a question about immigration...
Hello Everyone, I've been lurking here reading your...
STROBE
Overwintering geraniums from a deck planter
The planter is about 6"x2' and has 5 plants in...
dab07
Looking for a Scuffle Hoe
Hello everyone: The new anti-pesticide laws have my...
northerner_on
Weeping Mulberry
My fruiting weeping mulberry cracked at the head, presumably...
gastonal
Online irrigation stores?
I've posted a similar message on the irrigation forum....
Sherwood Botsford
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™