Bamboo - Hedging - Privacy

gemini_mumApril 30, 2008

Hi all... i've recently moved to the east coast from the west and am relearning gardening! I'm needing to create a 'hedging/privacy' roughly 200' long, in boggy type soil, along a salty/windy alley.... I'm up for suggestions.... cost would be a consideration.... i'm patient and can wait for fill in... priority is :

1.survival

2.eventual privacy/wind breaking

3.care and main.

Thanks all !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ianna(Z5b)

Have you checked your neighbors gardens to see what thrives? I think for bamboo, your zone is far too cold for it. With some wind, I expect it will have to survive zone 3 as well. In anycase, some bamboos clump and are well behaved. But others are a nightmare that sends out rhizomes far from it's original source and these types require 2 feet deep root barriers to contain them. You don't want to deal with these horrors.

These is a link to salt tolerant plants http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/trees/430-031/430-031.html. YOu can see there are plenty available. However it doesn't say whether they are good in wetland conditions. This is why I suggested that the best way to find out what works is to tour your neighborhood to see what thrives.

Ianna

Bookmark   April 30, 2008 at 9:10PM
runningtrails

If you are not near underground piping or wells, I would try willows. They love wet conditions and grow quickly. Plant them close together for privacy. There are different kinds too. A hedge of curly willow would look cool! Also you can just poke a willow stick in the ground and it will root and grow. So take a few dozen cuttings form one you find, with the owners permission of course, and then stick them in the ground for your hedge. Keep them damp until they root and start growing.

I don't know if they will survive the salt, however, but it wouldn't cost you anything to try, if done from cuttings.

Bookmark   May 2, 2008 at 6:04AM
ianna(Z5b)

Weeping willows and curly willows are far more problematic when compared with bamboos. Bamboos can travel far from it's original site but at least it won't destroy foundations or sidewalks. In contrast, willows will do that. So my opinion is that this is not a good hedging plant. In fact, I haven't seen it used as hedging plants elsewhere. Except for one innovative idea in Britain where they created temporary living fences, criss crossing willow sticks and also created wig wams. A fun summer project.

Now there are smaller screening varieties (zone 6 stuff) that aren't invasives. Again these are not hedging materials but can be used as screening shrubs.

My honest opinion.

ianna

Bookmark   May 2, 2008 at 5:20PM
More Discussions
What to do with a swampy yard - new homeowner needs ideas!
My yard is a wet sponge. I have a lovely crop of skunk...
jbobs
Canadian Garden blogs
I would love to collect a list of Canadian garden blogs...
Crafty Gardener
Hi from Alabama, I have a question about immigration...
Hello Everyone, I've been lurking here reading your...
STROBE
Help Me Please Identify Unknown Plant
Hi, there is an unknown plant growing in my garden....
petra.gombos
Does anyone know what's up with Spring Garden.ca?
Hi, I'm waiting on some bittersweet vines that I've...
lilies_and_roses
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™