Eastern Tiger Photo - male or female?

christie_sw_mo(Z6)July 29, 2011

I think most if not all of the female Eastern Tigers I've seen here have been the dark form but I'm not sure on this one. Is it a male with more blue than normal or a female with less blue than normal?

If I didn't mix up my pics, this is a side view of the same butterfly:

Here's another one that has no blue that I can see, so I think it must be a male:

Here's a side view of the male:

The first one says "lost and found" because it's one that we looked for in the house for over a week. It escaped the container when it was ready to pupate. I finally found it, in chrysalis form, but not attached to anything, just laying on my carpet by my cedar chest. It's a very lucky butterfly. I don't how it didn't get stepped on or eaten by my kitty in all that time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

It's a male tiger with just a little blue, Christie. Most of the male tigers that show up here have zero blue, like the one in your third picture, but occasionally, one will show a little bit of it.
Congrats on raising all those tigers - that's rare!
Sherry

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 5:29PM
bananasinohio(6OH)

Looks male to me. Ours have more blue like the first one. Another way to tell is a tapering end and claspers on the abdomen. Sometimes right after they eclose it is difficult to tell because they are a bit swollen

So, pretty!
-Elisabeth

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 5:43PM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any yellow females this year then, just the dark form.

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 7:41PM
terrene(5b MA)

Wow - that is amazing you found the chrysalis on the floor more than a week later and it was undamaged! You must have been going crazy wondering where it was?

What host plant do you collect the Tiger Swallowtails from?

Bookmark   July 29, 2011 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
Monsanto and monarchs
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/01/27/monsanto-we-are-absolutely-committed-to-monarch-butterfly-conservation/...
arkpollinator
Commercial grown Milkweed
http://texasbutterflyranch.com/2015/02/27/mega-grower-color-spot-nursery-to-consider-growing-clean-chemical-free-milkweed/...
arkpollinator
Urgent!
I am worried about my Cecropia cocoon because I went...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Ordered seeds.
I ordered some seeds today and was wondering how I...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™