Cedars turning brown

nico6196(Z5a)April 28, 2010

We planted three cedars last spring and upon unwrapping them this spring, one of them has some brown patches and the other has yellow patches. Can someone tell me why cedars turn brown? Is there anything we can do about it?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ianna(Z5b)

Hi Nico

Can you show photos?

Some cedars do go through a browning process -- what sort are yours?

Many evergreens if not watered well during it's first season in the ground will start showing stress only in the following year. Did you provide these plants consistent watering last year?

What can be done? -- just patience for now. Be vigilant. Cedars are pretty good at bouncing back. a Little fertilzer perhaps *but only after we rule out root troubles.

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 12:07PM
nico6196(Z5a)

Here's some pics. The cedar on the left has a brown patch and the middle one is starting to yellow a bit (on the inside, it's brown and dry) - I hope you can see it in my pics.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/mouse6196/SDC10691.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/mouse6196/SDC10692.jpg[/IMG]

The cedars are Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd'. I did have a soaker hose around them last summer (the year I planted them). Although I made a point of watering them regularly, I cannot recall if I did it that regularly.

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 10:17AM
nico6196(Z5a)

Sorry, the pics didnt' work. Here they are

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 10:19AM
ianna(Z5b)

Okay, the one with the closeup is going to be fine. Give it water and some of those tree fertilizers. My guess is, it probably had some root stress last season. It's recovered now. Lucky thing with cedars is that it will regenerate that foliage. (not so with Junipers)

The one in the middle looks dead unfortunately.

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 12:03PM
nico6196(Z5a)

Thanks, I've read somewhere that the brown stuff can be cut out. What do you think? If so, when would we do this?

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 1:46PM
bonniepunch(USDAz4 AgCanz5a)

If you prune, I would prune what needs to be pruned asap - it is getting on for pruning a cedar (cedars should be pruned in early spring).

If/When you prune, you must be very careful not to prune too far back, or you will end up with a big bare spot - forever. You have to leave growing tips. It will take a couple of years to fill in what you have pruned.

You could consider not pruning the leftmost one at all (ianna is spot on - it should recover). It looks like new growth is already forming at the tips and in a year (or two at most) the brown patch will not be visible, and you will keep the shape of the tree. If you prune it, you will get new growth, but lose the shape.

BP

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 8:42PM
More Discussions
Best Nurseries to order from?
This is a dangerous time of year...still snow everywhere...
hmacgarden
What to do with a swampy yard - new homeowner needs ideas!
My yard is a wet sponge. I have a lovely crop of skunk...
jbobs
Help Me Please Identify Unknown Plant
Hi, there is an unknown plant growing in my garden....
petra.gombos
overseeding a lawn in vancouver
Hi all, My front yard is... a mess. The house is new...
dalans
When do YOU start your veggie seeds indoors?
Hi...I've got my grow light gardening kit assembled,...
Patches
Sponsored Products
Eagle One Hexagon All Greenwood Picnic Table In Brown/Cedar
Beyond Stores
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™