Periwinkle Flowers

BradWilliamsApril 13, 2013

This area is 100% shade during the summer due to the large trees in my backyard. I have no plan on removing the trees so would like ideas; tips or suggestions as to what I can do to liven up this area. The trees take all the water so its near impossible to have grass like the rest of the lawn. I tried clover last year but very limited results. One the plus side my lawn has a inground sprinkler system so getting water to the area is no issue but what to plant etc is my puzzle. Thanks for any help with this backyard project. I am open to just about anything. I came across Periwinkle Flowers but my concern is will they invade the rest of the property. See image of area in question. Thanks for any help or advice on this.

This post was edited by BradWilliams on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 6:52

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosco_p(z6a ont.canada)

Brad: One possibility for this difficult area, that you might consider is Ajuga or Bugle Weed. It moves around well but is also easy to remove if it gets to be invasive. It has nice leaf colouring and even blue flowers in the spring. It is low growing and amasses well. Hope this helps. Ross.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 3:21PM
BradWilliams

Thanks for the feedback. I looked at images of Bugleweed, nice looking ground cover and may be the answer to my garden.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 6:57AM
ianna(Z5b)

Bugle weeds come in purple colours and also in large and smaller varieties. Choose a mix so it looks interesting.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 11:08AM
BradWilliams

Thanks Ianna, will try that for sure.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 6:33PM
kelfords(Z 5 Ontario)

Bugle weed attractive but is extremely invasive.Periwinkle will also spread, but is much easier to control.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 3:21PM
BradWilliams

Thanks Kel for the info, will look at periwinkle.

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 9:35AM
BradWilliams

Planted 4 one gallon Periwinkle (Vinca minor) plants today in the area in the photo where nothing really grows. Spaced them about 3 feet apart. Added a few clumps of moss near rocks in the other area, should be interesting to see how they both grow. Put some root boost on all the plantings to help a little with their intial growth.

This post was edited by BradWilliams on Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 19:03

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 5:21PM
More Discussions
Charisma Lilac
I bought and planted two Charisma lilacs in May 2010....
Mary.13
Overwintering geraniums from a deck planter
The planter is about 6"x2' and has 5 plants in...
dab07
Weeping Mulberry
My fruiting weeping mulberry cracked at the head, presumably...
gastonal
weed or no weed?
approx 4 ft tall any info appreciated
ralu25
Looking for a Scuffle Hoe
Hello everyone: The new anti-pesticide laws have my...
northerner_on
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™