First flowers of the season!

GAAlan(z7b(on map) 8(imby) Atlanta)September 22, 2006

I was walking through my camellias this morning and spotted flowers! I have two blooming, Shishigashira and C. sinensis 'Rosea'. I can't find notes on Rosea, but I discovered that Shishi is starting bloom exactly one week earlier than last year. Anyone else seeing flowers yet?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenny_in_se_pa(USDA7 Sunset 32)

One of my sisters has a white-flowering C. sinensis and the buds on hers have swollen and should be blooming soon - perhaps within a week or so. Mine is related to 'Rosea' (pink flowering but also has reddish leaves) but isn't quite ready to bloom yet as I have it in a more shady spot. Hers is in mostly sun - both of ours are potted and outside.

Bookmark   September 24, 2006 at 11:34AM
GAAlan(z7b(on map) 8(imby) Atlanta)

Jenny my Rosea is in the ground and gets sun till about 12:30 then shade. I just went out to look and the whole plant is in shade now with sun just beyond its branch tips, which I take to mean the shade just recently fell over the whole plant.

I have notes from past years on first open flower(s) for it and Shishigashira

2004: Shishi-September 3;Rosea-September 13
2005: Shishi-September 29

I really like sinensis, it is a very handsome plant. The flowers aren't big and flashy like most, but that is part of the charm to me. Gives it an air of quiet sophistication.

Bookmark   September 25, 2006 at 12:51PM

I spotted a half open flower on 'Snow Flurry' last night, its first. I love the semi-weeping habit of this one.

Bookmark   September 29, 2006 at 7:23AM

I was driving in a few minutes ago and noticed the first open flower on my 'Tanya' camellia.

Bookmark   October 1, 2006 at 9:42AM
jeff_al

here is a thumbnail of 'pink snow', my first flower this fall.

Bookmark   October 11, 2006 at 10:12AM
okintos

It is a time of Camellias.
My beautiful "Yuletide", is blooming from the first days of October.
Regards.
Daniel Dominguez OKintos.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellias in Galicia

Bookmark   October 12, 2006 at 6:25AM
longriver(SF Bay Area)

My C. octopetala has been flowering for 3 days. This species is listed as camellia bloomer in autumn season.

Bookmark   October 13, 2006 at 10:32PM
jared_sc(z7b SC)

Our earliest sasanqua begins blooming around the first of September and is generally finished with its blooming cycle by the end of September or in early October. It is a 'Pink Dauphin.' Its intense perfume is a magnet to yellow jackets, honey bees, bumble bees, and ants. Our earliest _Camellia japonicas_ generally begin blooming during the middle of September. These varieties are 'Daikagura,' 'High Hat,' which is a sport of 'Daikagura,' and 'September Morn,' (aka 'Yohei-Haku').
Yesterday afternoon, I also noticed the first bloom on our 'Mine-no-Yuki' sasanqua and also on our 'Shishigashira.' The 'Mine-no-Yuki' has a gardenia planted next to it in the foundation shrubbery. There are several fall blossoms on the gardenia, which are a treat in October.

Bookmark   October 21, 2006 at 5:41PM
okintos

Hello Camelliófilos.
This one is a time of Camellias.
The Autumn is a time of Camellia sasanqua. But in Autumn it blooms also the Camellia japonica. Some of the most ancient and beautiful Camellias that came to West, begin to be bloomed by them in the Autumn. White C. japonica 'ALBA PLENA', C. japonica ' ANEMONAEFLORA ALBA' And " C. japonica ' LADY HUME'S BLUSH ", that we are called 'CAMURÃA'.
Regards.
Daniel Dominguez OKintos

Camellia japonica 'ANEMONAEFLORA ALBA'

Camellia japonica 'ALBA PLENA'

Camellia japonica 'LADY HUME'S BLUSH' Syn.- 'CAMURÃA', FLAVESCENS', 'BUFF', 'CARNEA'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pazo de Oca Camellia reticulata

Bookmark   November 4, 2006 at 6:53AM
More Discussions
Rescuing a giant lollipop camellia?
The house my family moved into last year has an obviously...
nonconformist_nymphette
any truly freeze-resistant camellia flowers?
It seems like when camellias are discussed as winter-blooming...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Can Professor Charles Sargent be kept smaller?
I'm looking to plant my first camellia and have fallen...
oberci
jujujojo_gw
CAN'T Find this one!!
Greetings folks, Well, the old expression of there...
cactusrequiem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™