Inexpensive source for Michelia Alba in OC/LA

tranddMarch 15, 2012

I am looking to buy Michelia Alba plant.

I live in Orange County and would love to find an inexpensive source also in OC to buy.

Thank you very much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
onederw

Inexpensive is, of course, in the eye of the beholder, or rather in the wallet of the beholder. I have absolutely no knowledge of nurseries in Orange County, but I do know that San Gabriel Nursery (nearby for me, but probably a major expedition for you) carries an extensive selection of Michelia Alba, including ones that are quite small,and hence less costly, and plants that are further along. The nursery itself is quite large, and I remember them having Michelias in 5 gallon cans and plants in large tree boxes.

I'm including a link to their website. Before you burn a bunch of gas to go check it out, it might be worth a phone call and a conversation with someone on staff there.

Good luck,
Kay

PS: If you check out the website, you'll see a place where you can subscribe to their monthly newsletter. Each edition of the newsletter comes with a 10 percent off coupon. Every little bit helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: San Gabriel Nursery

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 11:54AM
santamonicagardener

You can find small inexpensive m. Alba at 99 Ranch markets.
I have seen them at the one in Torrance, an you can check your local 99 Ranch. They are usually from Temple City Nursery. other interesting fruit and flowering plants at 99 Ranch , often mangoes, orchids etc

good luck, certainly one of my favorite trees!

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 1:34PM
trandd

Thank you very much for the tips, onederw and santamonicagardener.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 4:51PM
musaboru(Inland Calif.)

As you are wanting something inexpensive, I would advise to go for the smaller plants in 1 gallon pots that are sometimes sold for around $30 or maybe less in the Asian nurseries. I've seen these 1gal plants as low as $17 once on sale.

Once established Michelia alba can grow really fast. One of my plants in a 7 gallon pot shot up a 5 ft tall side trunk within the last year (and I can only imagine what it would have done if planted in the ground).

Small plants can bloom within the same year too. A 1 gallon plant I purchased last November was replanted in a 3 gallon pot and it has 3 flower buds forming now (althought it isn't really healthy as I grew it indoors under poor light and nearly killed it with too much fertilizer).

Bookmark   March 24, 2012 at 1:52AM
More Discussions
Need help with identification
I have tiny black round specks all over my fence and...
Nancy Taylor
Mother Nature Fooled the beans, Now Hurry Hummingbird it's up to you
Well the beans have come out of their husky winter...
Wild Haired Mavens
Mango trees in SoCal?
Has anyone successfuly grown any type of mango tree...
wetfeet101b
Echium wildpretii. "Tower of jewels"
Anyone have experience with these? I planted seeds....
llilibel03
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™