Moving a camellia-is it possible?

brandyray(Coastal NC/8a)September 30, 2013

I have a camellia that has outgrown its location. I took a look at the thread about transplant stress and realized that I need to wait til around Dec. to move it. It is about 9 ft tall but w/ a fan sort of shape- not a big round shrub, and I only planted it about 5 yrs ago. Would now be the time to cut a circle around it? The ground is not likely to freeze here (and it's all sand). I also need to decide where to plant it- thinking about the edge of the woods; that would put it about 15 ft from its current location. How big of a root ball should I expect? Is this going to be hopeless w/o machinery? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vmr423

These articles may be useful:
http://camelliaexpress.wordpress.com/2013/07/25/relocating-camellias-sucessfully-by-gene-phillips/

http://www.burncoose.co.uk/site/page.cfm?page_ref=how_to_care_for_shrubs

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/transplant-camellia-japonica-bush-37885.html

http://www.aces.edu/counties/StClair/documents/NRCamelliaMoveGlover09.pdf

http://www.pacifichorticulture.org/articles/a-half-century-of-camellias-find-a-new-home/

I've never had to move an established camellia, so can't offer any first-hand advice, but I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 5:28PM
brandyray(Coastal NC/8a)

Thank you for the info. I found the first link and the last one to be the most helpful. I will try to take a 5 ft rootball w/ it. I agree w/ the newer research that indicates it is better not to add amendments, but I will likely add mulch to the bottom of the hole because the sand here lets the water pass right through. Anyway, it will be an adventure... I also have a lilac bush to move, and it is about the same size. I hope they both make it. Thanks again.

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 8:20PM
vmr423

Your plants must be happy where they are, or they wouldn't be out-growing their location. If you're moving them to a similar location, I don't see why they shouldn't be happy there as well.

I know next to nothing about lilacs, but camellias- at least established camellias- are pretty tough.

Bookmark   October 5, 2013 at 1:46PM
brandyray(Coastal NC/8a)

Thank you, I hope it will survive the move. I haven't picked out an exact spot but it will be about 20 ft from the current location, and will be in the edge of the woods.

Bookmark   October 5, 2013 at 10:03PM
oliveoyl3

I've moved 3 camellias last year with success & not necessarily following the "rules".

The largest one was actually a rescue meaning it was dug out in late March while in bud, covered with a damp sheet, then whacked back to nubs. It was offered on freecycle near my work & since my favorite color bright rose pink I was willing to try. I planted it in good soil in part sun & it regrew feeder roots putting on new growth by late June.

The other 2 were 30 year old camellias that had been repeatedly hard pruned by former tenants. They were planted too close to the house & blocked a window. One resprouted from the ground. The other from an 18" trunk. Both are growing at the edge of the yard bordering native woods. The original owner was pleased I moved them further from the house & apologized for planting so closely.

I mulched all of them & provided water during our summer drought. They're tough plants.

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 9:30PM
brandyray(Coastal NC/8a)

Thank you, Corinne, that is encouraging. I did not want to disbud it so I decided to wait til Nov or Dec when it will be colder here. It is blooming now- creamy blossoms w/ yellow centers.

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 9:44PM
vmr423

Creamy blossoms with yellow centers sounds lovely. Is it a sasanqua, or an early japonica?

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 2:17PM
brandyray(Coastal NC/8a)

I wanted to follow up on this thread and thank all of you who gave me info. The move appears to have been successful- leaves are still green, no wilting. Hurray!
As for which type it is, unfortunately I don't remember the name of this one. (My favorite is in back by the deck and it is a Bob Hope- zillions of buds in late fall.) My Yuletides have gotten larger and have large deep red buds on them :)
thanks again!

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 9:59PM
More Discussions
What is eating the camellia leaves?
My friend has a camellia which has lots of beautiful...
jaymo49
Help with Camellias
I have purchased 2 camellia plants in the middle of...
Camellia2000
Camelia - Buttons N Bow
Hello - I bought the Button N Bows Camelia. I planted...
robbbyva
Rescuing a giant lollipop camellia?
The house my family moved into last year has an obviously...
nonconformist_nymphette
Pink Perfection or Nuccio's Cameo?
I love the color and form of Pink Perfection and Nuccio's...
astphard
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™