Camellia 'Katherine Cathcart'

lecorbeau(7b)October 11, 2004

Has anyone ever heard of this camellia? A story passed down says there was one. It obviously isn't very common. Does someone know how to find old records of such things? Probably named in the 20's or 30's.

Thanks for any help.

Kate

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
forrestal(Gulf Coast z8b)

'Catherine Cathcart' is shown in the Camellia Nomenclature Supplement (1996) which lists many historical varieties that, generally speaking, are no longer in substantial commercial distribution. You may still find them in old gardens, and occasionally at a camellia specialty nursery.

The Supplement indicates the bloom was imported from Europe to Magnolia Gardens (Charleston S.C.) in the 1940's, where it was then distributed. It produces a medium sized formal-double bloom that is colored pink with white mottled splotches, blooming mid to late season (March). Some unofficial names for it were 'Leila,' 'Lord Darby,' and 'San Antonio."

I also have found a catalogue description (similar to the above) along with a color image in the book "Camellias" by G.G. Gerbing (1945 ed.) who back then carried it at his nursery in Fernandina (Amelia Island) Florida. It evidently was very popular at one time. The picture reminds me of 'Pink Perfection' with white mottling. Send me an e-mail and I will scan and e-mail it to you if you are interested.

If you have this one, you are very lucky. Hope this helps!

Bookmark   October 11, 2004 at 10:36PM
More Discussions
Camellia Ashley Eden?
Hello. I just succumbed to a little plant covered with...
rosie
camellia identity
First off let me introduce and tell you a little bit...
dmichael619
Suggestions for transplanting??
Removing this planter but hate to lose the beautiful,...
niknstan
CAN'T Find this one!!
Greetings folks, Well, the old expression of there...
cactusrequiem
Camelia - Buttons N Bow
Hello - I bought the Button N Bows Camelia. I planted...
robbbyva
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™