How to germinate Camellia seed?

5862xwgOctober 8, 2013

I'm obsessed with growing plants from seed. I know they will be slow growing and possibly will never flower but I just like the feeling of accomplishment. Anyway, I'm new to Camellia. I've been growing Adenium and I feel like Camellia is on the opposite side of succulent. Does anyone have any experience germinating Camellia seeds and caring for seedling during spring? I live in KY Zone 6.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrlynn(z7 GA)

I put them in a container and cover with 1 inch of soil. Then I cover them with 1 foot of leaves during the winter. In the spring I remove the leaves and they start to germinate in April. I grow them in the pot the first year and the next year I plant them in the garden. Camellia Forest Nursery has lots of seeds for sale of different species.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 10:31AM
5862xwg

Thanks, mrlynn

How about germinating them in a container? I don't have a yard to put them in.

Bookmark   October 11, 2013 at 11:50AM
vmr423(Zone 8b, SC)

You may find this link to be useful- I did. Over the last 2 months, I planted hundreds of seeds gathered from plants around the neighborhood & in our yard- some are already leafing out, but most are still thinking about germinating...
http://camelliaexpress.wordpress.com/2011/07/10/growing-camellia-seed/

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 5:08PM
restoner(6B-7A)

I think it helps to use a nail file (or something similar) to break through the outer seed coat.

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 12:04AM
5862xwg

Thanks for the link, vmr.

restoner, I heard people has used hammers to crack seed open.

For those who's grown camellia from seed, can you guys send a couple images? I want to wait until next spring to plant them but I can't wait to see what I'm dealing with. Thanks

Bookmark   October 14, 2013 at 4:24PM
Jonathan29

My advice use a metal nut cracker to crack them open. Its the least time consuming, putting them under a light and misting for 48 hours i have not tried. But i am still getting results. My C. Sinensis seeds are a chinese veriaty. Alao purchased from camelliaforest.com i planted them after scarifying them and soaking for 32 hours i put them in my frigde after for 48 hours. The people at camellia forest recomended to me 30 days of cold stratifying to see noticeable results. But my seeds have already developed tap roots planted on the 3rd of november now its the 15th and they are already getting green on the seeds just getting ready to push. Thats pretty fast for camellia, so i would buy from them if you are wanting to have the best success.

Bookmark   November 15, 2013 at 7:01PM
More Discussions
CAN'T Find this one!!
Greetings folks, Well, the old expression of there...
cactusrequiem
Camellia Photos
I'm really thrilled that my Camellia's are coming into...
gardenbug
Suggestions for transplanting??
Removing this planter but hate to lose the beautiful,...
niknstan
Help with Camellias
I have purchased 2 camellia plants in the middle of...
Camellia2000
Can Professor Charles Sargent be kept smaller?
I'm looking to plant my first camellia and have fallen...
oberci
Sponsored Products
Fairmont Designs 42" Framingham Vanity - Polar White
Modern Bathroom
Paley Chair - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture
Dover Collection 15 1/4" High Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Market Square OL2601 Outdoor Wall Sconce
Lightology
Derby Hanger Light
Lightology