good rose for Toronto

purple-anemoneApril 17, 2011

Hi

I'm starting a perennial flower bed and would love to have a good strong rose that flowers well through the season - mayby also a rose climber for my porch pillar - preferably in a pink shade (or maybe yellow). But I read that they don't like humidity, so is Toronto even a good place for roses? Is there any rose you could recommend for me, that's not fussy?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andreea21(5)

I will recommend you Day Breaker, Ebb Tide, Easy does it, Double delight, Sunsprite, Gemmini, Scentimental
Have fun.
Day Breaker
Double Delight
Ebb Tide
Scentimental
Gemini
Sunsprite

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 6:13PM
ianna(Z5b)

Oh you have plenty of choices. Check out pickering nurseries an online mal order store. They can provide you with so many options.

Roses just need to have a good full sun area, breezy location and it should be fine. Toronto is a good zone for roses. What roses hate is that they don�t like their leaves to be kept wet which is why a breezy location is important. Some roses are susceptible to mildew and to blight (black spots) and wetness encourages these diseases. So avoid hybrid tea roses for these reasons. The hybrid teas are the divas of roses. They are just more high maintenance than other roses.

Anyway, check out pickering nurseries and plot it your wants and it would pop out many options complete with pictures.

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 11:37PM
purple-anemone

Thank you so much - pictures and all & on-line order nurseries and all!

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 9:30AM
ianna(Z5b)

good. Because you want season long roses, don't forget to look for repeat flowering roses. This is because some roses will only flower for a certain period and then no more for the rest of the season. Some roses are also mildew & black spot resistant. So look for these qualities. And also check out the David Austen type roses for the 'antique' look. - These are actually modern roses but were bred to copy the old antique roses without the disease the old roses were susceptible to.

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 11:25AM
More Discussions
Yacon
I posted this on the wrong side :( so here goes again. Is...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Weeping Mulberry
My fruiting weeping mulberry cracked at the head, presumably...
gastonal
very good price for seedling heat mats
Home hardware has the 10" x 20" seedling...
dowlinggram
3 week old cedars browning
Had 60' worth of 8-11' white cedars installed 3 weeks...
mensreaj
test
test
Nitefall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™