Where can I find yacon tubers in LA?

dicotMarch 11, 2012

As I've been told in GW veggies, the yacon tubers need the crown as well to sprout, like dahlias. I'm interested in tracking down these low-starch semi-taters and trying a crop this season. Any leads? I'm willing to do trades too, I have watsonia and some other bulbs, a variety of seeds, and I'm just germinating some squash and tomatoes now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dicot

Guess I'll check around farmer's markets, bodegas and botanicos here in the South Bay.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 2:23PM
santamonicagardener

2 years ago I grew yacon from a gifted crown. it takes up a lot of space if it is happy, almost becoming a weed. I had more crowns than I could get rid of! In my community garden, people are always putting it in the waste pile, if I see some I will give you a heads up.
You may be able to get the tubers to sprout, if you find fresh ones. I had plants coming up in the same spot the next year, and I know I removed all the crown, so it must have been from buried tubers.

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 1:43PM
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

This is on my list to acquire. Got some things to trade if you have it. Or let me know if you find a source around L.A.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 5:24AM
More Discussions
Podocarpus (fern pine): a monster?
My neighbor told me that my new collection of five...
ruby138
Is there an "easy" red Kangaroo paw???
I planted 2 "Big Red" KP about a month ago....
Sabine Halfhill
Nasturtiums and Cannabis
To avoid Nasturtiums taking over my garden next year...
patmonk
Echium wildpretii. "Tower of jewels"
Anyone have experience with these? I planted seeds....
llilibel03
Need help with identification
I have tiny black round specks all over my fence and...
Nancy Taylor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™