peat moss

woody64(5a)April 17, 2011

I have access to alot of peat moss and was wondering did anyone ever make up a device to beat up chunks of peat moss to use in the garden?Iam looking for plans or ideas to dump small chunks of peat moss in a machine that will beat or chop it up fine.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ianna(Z5b)

If you have accss to the product with intention to sell them off - I imagine you will require larger machinery to handle the job. On a relatively small scale job- why not use a wood chipper? However we in this forum are users of the product and not the producers. So perhaps you are in need of speaking to farm folks, machinists, horticulturalists, or engineers.

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 4:12PM
woody64(5a)

no I just want something small for my garden.I figured there might be a backyard/garage do it yourselfer in the mist that might have attempted something.Iam going to try and rig up and old snowblower.lol

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 2:59PM
origami_master(5b)

Is your peat in compressed bales/cubes? I bought one of those a few years ago and just dumped the whole thing on the bare soil and broke it up with a rake (not the kind for raking leaves, but a bow rake). Where I work, we use a lot of peat based potting medium that comes in compressed bales. we kick and punch and sit on the bales a bit before opening them so the medium comes out looser. We use our hands to break up any clumps. make sure you dampen the peat first - I am telling you from experience, dry peat makes a lot of dust, especially if you're breaking up clumps. Sneezing out peat is not a nice feeling!

Bookmark   April 19, 2011 at 5:57PM
ianna(Z5b)

so you might try then using just lots of hot water to expand the peat and loosen it up.

Bookmark   April 20, 2011 at 3:18PM
woody64(5a)

lol,no its from a peat moss bog.I just dig up shovel fulls of it and trailer it to my garden.Its still pretty wet.Its alot cheaper than going to the local store and buying it and I don't have a small garden.I did an area a few years ago and planted cherry tress in it,you can almost see the trees growing.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 6:48AM
ninamarie(4Ont.)

Unless you want to acidify your soil, why are you using peat moss?

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 12:15PM
ianna(Z5b)

the thought occurred to me too. Acification that is.

anyway so then the moss is not really compacted but it's just trememdously wet. In drying then it will start to fall to pieces. Perhaps the next best thing is to lay it on a tarp and use good old pitchfork to loosen it up.

Bookmark   April 21, 2011 at 1:50PM
More Discussions
Overwintering geraniums from a deck planter
The planter is about 6"x2' and has 5 plants in...
dab07
Hi from Alabama, I have a question about immigration...
Hello Everyone, I've been lurking here reading your...
STROBE
Help Me Please Identify Unknown Plant
Hi, there is an unknown plant growing in my garden....
petra.gombos
When do YOU start your veggie seeds indoors?
Hi...I've got my grow light gardening kit assembled,...
Patches
Plant Nurseries in Canada disappearing?
I had bookmarked years ago something that lists all...
yugoslava
Sponsored Products
Cutting Garden Bright Nosegay - MULTI COLORS
$65.00 | Horchow
Mario Industries Splash Ceramic Block Table Lamp - Moss - 10T211MS
$220.00 | Hayneedle
Richton Alton Moss Green Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Bella Moss Green Kidney Pillow
$42.00 | Bellacor
Made for One-Gallon Terrarium Kit
| Dot & Bo
Moss letters - letter b
Origin Crafts
Indoor Area Rug: Contemporary Light Brown and Light Moss Rectangle 9' 2" x 12' 5
Home Depot
Meticulously Woven Contemporary Brown Floral Kosmik Rug (6'7 Round)
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™