(B)Camellia Society for Potomac Valley November 9th Meeting

Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VAOctober 31, 2008

The Sunday, November 9th Meeting of the CSPV will be held at the U.S. NATIONAL ARBORETUM at 2 PM, with Social hour starting at 1:30 PM.

Bill Miller will take orders for Microfoam and give a brief demo on how to use it.

Randy Kobetich will give a brief report of his activities concerning the formation of a Camellia Society in Delaware.

Dan Turner, our member from Highland, MD, who owns a large Holly Nursery, which includes many camellias and other plants, will give a slide talk on "Hollies and Other Companion Plants for Camellias," at this November meeting.

Camellia Society and Membership Information

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
longriver(SF Bay Area)

I used to travel to DC and Virginia areas often. Nice to know you have an active camellia society. I am working on some cold hardy new camellias. Yet my area does not have real cold winter.

When my seedlings are ready, I hope any someone in your society is interested to grow 'possible' cold hardy new cultivars.

Bookmark   November 3, 2008 at 1:04PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

longriver,

Well, you can sure send me some seedlings to trial! I'm in zone 7a, just outside Washington, DC. I have a large backyard with some shade, some sun. There's always room for more!

Bookmark   November 5, 2008 at 8:39AM
dyhgarden(7b)

Hope you don't mind my jumping on this thread. I'm researching John Jacob Frobel from Fairfax County, VA. I found a reference that he provided a camellia japonica seed to a Dr. Gunnell that is listed in an 1840's horticultural magazine. The camellia was named 'Judge Washington' or 'Judge Bushrod Washington' after the nephew of George Washington.

If you have any information on the gardens/plants of Frobel who owned Wilton Hill on Franconia Road in Alexandria, VA , I'd love to know. He was the great-great-grandfather of my husband.

Thanks,
Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: Where Have All the Frobel Flowers Gone?

Bookmark   December 9, 2008 at 7:59PM
More Discussions
What's on these leaves?
Hello, could someone tell me what's happening to this...
PFCMCL
Camellia Dying?
My cameliia was covered all winter with the white garden...
pattysheehan
Camellia blooms for January
Finally a lack of fog let me roam outside and found...
Hogette-gw
Recent visit to flower market in China
Lot's of Camellias Part 1 of 2 But this is a rose.
jujujojo_gw
Pink Perfection or Nuccio's Cameo?
I love the color and form of Pink Perfection and Nuccio's...
astphard
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™