Moving Aloe plicatilis

wanda(Z9 CA)March 5, 2010

I have an old(er) Aloe plicatilis that is starting to get to heavy and leans toward the sun. I staked it up (it's about 2-2 1/2' with about a 6-8" trunk and 2 large fans at the top).

I want to move it where it gets a little more sun so it doesn't lean so much.

How hard are they to dig up and move? And does it have a good chance of surviving. Also, when would be the best time to do this.

Thanks for any insight you can give me. I've been growing this thing from a 6" pot for about 7 or 8 years and I don't want to lose it.

wanda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Wanda,
I've not had any problems moving similar sized ones this time of year, but it would of course be safer to get as large a root ball as possible. This species is a pretty adaptable plant in our climate. As they are winter growers, I would assume that new root growth would possibly be faster this time of year, but maybe wait until the end of March/first of April and the soils might not be as wet. The worst part of moving one is that they are so full of water that they can be heavy, maybe get some help to lift it, or a pry bar can come in very handy.

Bookmark   March 6, 2010 at 1:44AM
wanda(Z9 CA)

Thanks, Bahia! I will definitely get someone to help me lift and carry it. It was all I could do to push it back to stake it. It was a wrestling match for sure and it almost won!
Do you know how deep it's roots go?

Bookmark   March 6, 2010 at 10:03AM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Root depth will obviously vary by soil type, but I'd think a root ball the depth of a 5 gallon nursery can would be adequate, and wider than the plant to get the most roots. Be sure to cleanly cut any damaged roots, and maybe let the cut roots air dry for a few days before replanting it.

Bookmark   March 6, 2010 at 1:04PM
stanofh

And dont worry if some leaves turn black and fall off. This is not a plant to die from being dug up. Just remember they do need a bit more water than your average Aloe when moved.

Bookmark   March 6, 2010 at 3:55PM
wanda(Z9 CA)

Thanks for all the great info! You've really helped me a lot. I think if it's dry, I may tackle it this weekend. Keep your fingers crossed.

Wanda

Bookmark   March 6, 2010 at 9:41PM
siu_jin_verizon_net

The stems of my aloe plicatillis are getting soft from bottom up. Is there any way of saving the plant?

Bookmark   June 29, 2011 at 4:50PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Sylvia, how much are you watering it? they will rot from too much water. They need excellent drainage.

If the rot has really taken hold, what you would need to do is cut off the rot and re-root the healthy pieces. Cut, let the cut dry thoroughly in dry full shade, then set the pieces vertically in a pot of pumice and leave them for 6 months or so.

Wanda how did you plicatilis move go?

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 8:40PM
fouquieria(10b)

I suppose it's possible it may have been overwatered. How long have you had it? Is it in the ground or a pot? I've actually had difficulties with this particular aloe BECAUSE it requires more water than most aloes. The leave and stems on mine (when I had one) would turn black from too little water.

I grow a lot of different aloes but A. plicatilis, along with A. polyphylla, were always the most difficult ones for me.

-Ron-

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 2:04PM
More Discussions
Dymondia
Hi all! I planted some dymondia as a groundcover last...
Sabine Halfhill
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
Growing canker on plum and nectarine trunks
I have a small back yard orchard, most of which was...
Aaron Davidsson
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
Orange tree questions re fruiting, blooming and harvesting
hi all, we moved to a place with a really old orange...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™