How to germinate Camellia seeds

scross4(z6 NJ)October 25, 2004

I just visited Elk Rock in Portland and I was able to pick up a few camellia seeds from one of their 12 foot tall plants. I was wondering how I could go about germinating the seeds.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Attached is a good link about camellia propagation. Seed discussion follows the cutting explanation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia propagation

Bookmark   October 26, 2004 at 10:05PM
longriver(SF Bay Area)

A simple way is to keep the seeds in ziplock bag with a small pieces of clean moisted polyeaster fabric in refrigerator for storage. Prepare a soil mix, half& half of ground Peat and pertile. Plant the seeds indoor in a 1 or 2 gal plastic container about a month before warmer weather. just water it properly. move the pot outdoor later in a sheltered area with about 50 % filtered sunlight.

Bookmark   November 7, 2004 at 6:57AM
longriver(SF Bay Area)

There is also a more elaborated way to germinate camellia seeds. Because all my control cross camellia seeds are valuable to me. It was produced with lots of effort and planning. I have to worry about many factors which may cause a set back in seed germination process. They are media mix, fertilizer, root rot, moldy, pest, too dry or too wet, growth light, right or uneven temperature and early to germinate or waiting for about 4 months etc. All may affect the out come of seedling formation or loosing some valuable seeds.

I have about 280 control cross seeds in germination process now this year. Some are over 2 inches tall already. They are clean and healthy in an enclosed unit.

I have tried an innovative way to germinate camellia seeds for two years in a large empty fish tank. With "some preparation", the result is better than I thought.I just want share with you the new ideas. However please do not check on me yet what I am doing. I am still evaluate and improve my methodology to carry it out in a general househood condition.

Bookmark   November 28, 2004 at 8:22PM
More Discussions
Rescuing a giant lollipop camellia?
The house my family moved into last year has an obviously...
nonconformist_nymphette
Help with Camellias
I have purchased 2 camellia plants in the middle of...
Camellia2000
Any non-sinensis Camellia used for tea?
Does anyone know if any of the camellias besides camellia...
merrybookwyrm
anyone growing one of the 'Tama' varieties in a cold zn 7?
If so, how did they fare after last winter? I do see...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Camellia blooms for January
Finally a lack of fog let me roam outside and found...
Hogette-gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™