winter protection of camellias

doniki(z5/6 NE Ohio)October 18, 2004

I have had relatively good luck with the cold-hardy "Winter" series camellias, and wanted to try a spring blooming variety. When I was in the South, I purchased 3 Camellia Jap. Kumasaka's and planted them this summer up against my brick house (within 3 ft.) under the canopy of a large hemlock and a mature white pine. The space is within an "L" shape of the house, but faces the south- though it does not get much sun. I live in the city and the area is very protected. I have never protected the "Winter" series camellias other than with some wilt-proof and maybe a covering on the coldest nights. I know that the Kumasaka's will need more protection and was told that they would do just fine and bloom if I made a wire and burlap cage and filled it with oak leaves. Is that true? What else could I do...??? I really want to give these nice looking plants a shot.. they are full of buds. If anybody has any experience or suggestions I would appreciate it...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PeaBee4(9a)

The problem with the oak leaves or any kind of covering is that during the day when the temperture goes up above freezing, they need to be able to get light on the leaves. It's hard to determine how much darkness they can stand. the leaves in the frame would be difficult to handle.

The buds usually freeze when exposed to freezing temps for more than a few hours. That's why you want an early blooming type. They bloom before the temperture gets to be a problem. It's the blossums that are tender. The bush can stand a lot.

However, it's worth a try. We cover ours with blankets or bedspreads that can be easily removed.

What ever you do, don't allow plastic to lay against the bush. Moisture will condense on the plastic and freeze.

Since you have them so close to the house, look and see if you could lean a framework of boards or PCV pipe covered with plastic against the house to form sort of a mini-greenhouse.

Bookmark   October 19, 2004 at 8:06AM
More Discussions
1800's or earlier camellia catalogues and other materials.
1800's or earlier camellia catalogues and other materials. Hello,...
florence_2007
looking for a low growing 4ft. red Camellia
For zone 7b. What species will qualify ?
420benz
Can Professor Charles Sargent be kept smaller?
I'm looking to plant my first camellia and have fallen...
oberci
Camellia shelter - dropped blooms and damaged buds (cold)
I have a Camellia bed planted under the edge of my...
Bama_Joe
Camellia Dying?
My cameliia was covered all winter with the white garden...
pattysheehan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™